When to weigh

Hi, I'm just curious to know when you guys weigh yourselves. Like how often? Early on a morning or later on during the day? Clothed or not clothed lol. Each weigh in gives a different measurement and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it :) thanks xx

Replies

• LeanneMScott
    LeanneMScott Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everyone 👍😊 xx
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited May 2019
    For me, Sunday evenings at the same time. Whatever the case for you, just make sure you're consistent with day, time, dress (or undress as it may be!), etc. You want to log numbers that are as comparable as possible.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    daily, around 4:30 with clothes
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning,nude after bathroom,had a docs appointment yesterday and forgot about it til last minute so I had eaten,drank water and coffee so at the docs I weighed 8 pounds heavier than at home :s this morning I held the clothes I wore yesterday and they had added +3 pounds as well
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I weight every day, first thing in the morning, naked, and after I've gone to the bathroom.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Saturday morning, first thing, naked and after using the bathroom. Consistency is key.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I weigh every day now, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. But it took me a while to get to the point where I was comfortable weighing every day. It can be hard at first, and frustrating. Even with the trending apps. I used to weigh every Friday morning, first thing. Usually no clothes, but sometimes if my night clothes are light enough I leave them on :)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I weigh every day now, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. But it took me a while to get to the point where I was comfortable weighing every day. It can be hard at first, and frustrating. Even with the trending apps. I used to weigh every Friday morning, first thing. Usually no clothes, but sometimes if my night clothes are light enough I leave them on :)

Yeah, usually if I know I'm going to the doctor I will wear leggings cuz jeans are pretty heavy,I think weighing daily is smart too cuz then we see the small changes rather than being freaked out by a change that can occur in a week like bloat or something
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    First thing after going to the bathroom in the morning. All of my pajamas are the same weight so I weigh myself in my PJ's, also I weigh myself once a week
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2019
    Naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, removes the highest number of variables possible and gives the most stable set of data
  • linfun1
    linfun1 Posts: 1 Member
    I attend Weight Watchers and weigh every Saturday morning at my meeting. I didn’t have a scale at home for the first 3yrs. I bought a good scale after I lost 75lbs and I step on it 2-3x a week in the morning just to check in and help my maintance.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I always do it in the morning, right after visiting the bathroom. It seems to give me the most consistent (and lowest) numbers.

I weight in the morning but twice, right before and right after visiting the bathroom. If the spread averages around 2 pounds I then know my hydration level is OK for my weight of 200 pounds and age of 68. Not sure on my height but peaked at 5'11" before the Ankylosing Spondylitis hit me with a curve 40 years ago. Thankfully after changing my Way Of Eating 5 years ago I am regaining some height due to standing more upright. I think a spread of 1 pound may be more normal for most but 2 pounds has been my average for 30-40 years. I use the morning weights to compute how I am doing since I do not track food weight or number of estimated calories consumed.
    My only goal is better health markers year over year.

Actually the best time to weigh is what works for each person.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2019
    Like most, I weigh first thing in the morning, nude and after using the toilet. BUT, it doesn't really matter when or how you weigh as long as you are consistent. If you want to weigh fully clothed with shoes after dinner--go for it. Just do it that way every time. Your clothing, retained meals, retained fluids, etc. are going to affect the scale, but they aren't going to prevent you from losing weight. You'll still see the scale trending downwards if you are eating in a deficit. Sooooo....do what ever is easiest and most convenient for you!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited May 2019
    Lots of people on here seem to say they weigh everyday in the morning after using the bathroom. But I would encourage you to only weigh yourself once a week. Or twice a week. When you weigh in everyday it can discourage you because most days will be close to the same number because most people will only lose a pound or two a week after awhile. But if u do it only once a week on Fridays mornings (or whatever day/days you pick) you will constantly see the numbers going down :)

While I will acknowledge that this works for people who cannot mentally handle daily fluctuations, I have to address what you say because it provides incorrect information.

Weekly and even monthly weigh-ins are also subject to water weight fluctuations.

I can look at my trendweight.com graph and easily cherry-pick spots during my weight loss that are a week apart or a month apart where the second value was the same or higher than the first while I was still meeting my weight loss goals!

And this is without contending with several pounds of hormonal water retention.

What matters is the overall weight trend over time and not a particular daily weigh-in.

Your argument is that one can better determine the overall day to day weight trend by using fewer data points that are spaced further apart.

Objectively, daily data points are going to provide more accurate information

The secret is to not freak out at the daily value but to evaluate progress based on the trend over a sufficient period of time.