Excercise calories disappearing at night

Options
ambertopaz75
ambertopaz75 Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't usually eat my excercise calories but today I did. After logging all my Food I had 1 calorie left. I just got back on and I was in the negatives and my excercise calories had went down to 70 from almost 300. It should of went up since my fit bit is attached and I hit over 10k steps. Does anyone else have disappearing excercise calories?

Replies

• ambertopaz75
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ok I think I figured it out. Found out the excercise calories change based on what mfp thinks I will burn in a day and what fit bit says I burned and the difference is the excercise calories. That makes sense but I don't understand why it gave me so many calories to begin with. By 11pm its too late and I already ate the extra calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What’s your activity level set to?

Basically MFP breaks down what it thinks you will burn into hours and mins.

So when you sync what happens is Fitbit sends your calorie burn over, but what it sends to MFP is only from Midnight to that point in the day. MFP then adds estimated calorie burn based on your activity level for the remaining hours in the day to try and predict what Fitbit will day at midnight. The higher your activity level setting the higher the calories that get added for that remaining time.

For example:

MFP estimates I burn around 1890 on Lightly Active. So:
    Hour = 78.75
    Min = 1.3125

So because it’s 7 am, my tracker is reporting a 433 calorie burn. 7am - 11:59pm is not accounted for in that 433. So MFP will need to estimate for that time frame using the numbers above. With each sync it will redo the math.
    You are less likely to lose calories on Sedentary than any other MFP activity level.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I lose a ton of calories on sedentary. Very frustrating.
  • shaun_mossy
    shaun_mossy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have my Apple Watch synced to MFP and the exercise calories seem to affect my daily total differently throughout the day!

Yesterday they upped my daily allowance to 2,000 and today they've knocked me down to 1,199. By tonight it will have changed again!
  • ambertopaz75
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What’s your activity level set to?

Basically MFP breaks down what it thinks you will burn into hours and mins.

So when you sync what happens is Fitbit sends your calorie burn over, but what it sends to MFP is only from Midnight to that point in the day. MFP then adds estimated calorie burn based on your activity level for the remaining hours in the day to try and predict what Fitbit will day at midnight. The higher your activity level setting the higher the calories that get added for that remaining time.

For example:

MFP estimates I burn around 1890 on Lightly Active. So:
    Hour = 78.75
    Min = 1.3125

So because it’s 7 am, my tracker is reporting a 433 calorie burn. 7am - 11:59pm is not accounted for in that 433. So MFP will need to estimate for that time frame using the numbers above. With each sync it will redo the math.
    You are less likely to lose calories on Sedentary than any other MFP activity level.

I had it set to active cause the job examples it gave but reading other posts last night I changed it to lightly active. Will see how this goes. Thanks for all the responses. This is Definately gonna be trial and error.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Which is why I don't sync my watch to MFP and only log deliberate exercise. I can eat back all of those calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have my Apple Watch synced to MFP and the exercise calories seem to affect my daily total differently throughout the day!

Yesterday they upped my daily allowance to 2,000 and today they've knocked me down to 1,199. By tonight it will have changed again!

It should change anyway - but direct Apple sync is opposite of the way it should work.

Because Apple sends incorrect info to MFP.

You'll need to sync to another app like Pacer that passes on the correct required info.

In Apple's world - Total Daily Burned does not include daily activity above sedentary, nor exercise.
    Which for MFP API's it should like almost every other tracker does correctly.