how do protein shakes work??

Options
famlyluv
famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
I bought some Special K protein shakes to drink after my workout in the morning for breakfast. I mix it with a banana and ice and blend it up and it tastes sooo good! But I want to make sure I am useing the protein shakes the right way. Any advice would be welcome!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're doing good....maybe later look at pure protein shakes to mix with fruit, they have less sugar than the special K or carnation ones......
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're doing good....maybe later look at pure protein shakes to mix with fruit, they have less sugar than the special K or carnation ones......

^^THIS

Special K is filled with a lot of less than desireable ingredients.
  • witchymama77
    witchymama77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    that's a good start. watch the calories in the premade shakes though.. try powder, you can still make it in smoothies. I do all the time. an hour before or after a workout is best. :)
  • famlyluv
    Options
    What are the brands of the pure protein powder. Are they the ones that saw Whey Protein? Thanks for the advice!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    What are the brands of the pure protein powder. Are they the ones that saw Whey Protein? Thanks for the advice!!

There are all kinds of brands and they aren't all whey.

I use Naturade Soy-Free Protein Booster. It has no sugar or carbs and 24g of protein and only 1g of fat. It's made from pea and potato protein - but it does need a lot of help with flavor ;-) Almond milk and a banana or just some coconut extract and agave syrup are all that's needed!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, there are so many other shakes available with better protein.

Premade Pure Protein, Premier Protein (my favorite) and Muscle Milk Light

Powder: Pure Protein, Jay Robb and lots of others.

Premier has 160 calories, 11 oz and 30 grams of protein and 3g fat and 1 g sugar, way better than the Special K, Slim Fast types of shakes.

Take Care!
  • famlyluv
    Options
    I love Almond Milk!! Where can I get some of the Naturade from? Surely not wally world lol!
  • famlyluv
    Options
    I didn't know there were so many different varieties!! Im gunna have fun finding my favorites!!! Thank you for your suggestions!
  • witchymama77
    witchymama77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    any brand is good. just check the label. see which one has the most protein, the least calories..etc..
    I am using EAS soy protein now.. I just blend it with fruit and ice.