Atkins and Weight lifting newbie

2»

Replies

• Watch the sugar in watermelon, green grapes, bananas and FLAVORED greek yogurt. Plain w/ berries is the hot ticket. :glasses:

Jennie O Turkey makes great low fat, high protein meat.. including turkey sausage patties. Great for breakfast. Good Luck! I swear by THE 17 DAY DIET...sounds much like what you're doing. =)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Yep, banana's are very high glycemic. I don't think you can eat fruit in the first phase. Also, I have a go to dessert that is low carb: spray whipped cream. That Reddi-whip is extremely low carb. I use that for dessert and also sugar free popsicles.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    I like to snack on walnuts (look up the health benefits of them! I can hardly believe it), avocado or some high quality cheese, with maybe a handful of berries. Delicious!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    For breakfast I switch between eggs (which I like baked with cheese, veggies and sometimes ham, like a soufle) and Muffin In A Minute (commonly referred to as MIM) which is made with flaxseed, not flour and done in the microwave. I usually top the MIM with peanut butter or cream cheese, but you can be creative and add whatever sounds good to you. Here is the url for all about MIMs: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

It takes 5 minutes or less to make a MIM or a bit longer if you microwave it and then pop it in a toaster oven to crisp it up a bit. Change up the flavor based on what is on the website or check out the Atkins Support threads here on MFP for some ideas. I like to make them in a mini Pyrex dish I have that is about 1 1/2 cup capacity instead of the mug they use. I also use a mini rectangular Pyrex dish... the MIM can then be sliced into two pieces like bread, toasted and used for sandwiches. :)

I snack on celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese, various nuts in 1oz increments, parmesan crisps, ham & swiss roll ups or sometimes just a low carb shake if nothing else is handy. I bought EAS AdvantEDGE carb control in chocolate... there are only 2 grams net carbs, I do also like the Atkins shakes, but they are more expensive. :)

is the MIM good?

The MIM is awesome. Because Net carbs are what matter (Carbs - Fiber = Net) and flaxmeal starts out low carb and has lots of fiber its like the perfect food. It is so flexible - flavor it however you like, you are only limited by your own imagination. I had one for breakfast with some re-hydrated onion flakes (this adds a couple of carbs) and a little parmesan cheese, toasted the muffin in my toaster oven and ate it with 1 oz cream cheese. Sooooo yummy! I no longer miss onion bagels or onion rolls. :) I have also added shredded zucchini (made it soggy, so next time will briefly nuke the zucchini then drain) and chopped walnuts.