Food scale that can handle heavy pots etc

Options
What do you use to weigh an entire pot of food? I need the full weight of my recipe less the pot and while my Ozeri is great for measuring individual meals or ingredients or an empty pot, I run into the issue when I put a full pot of food on it because it is too heavy to register.

Do you have any recommendations for a kitchen scale that can handle heavier items?

Currently I’m weighing myself holding the pot and weighing myself without it using a bathroom scale. Just gets annoying to dig that scale out!

Thank you!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you put the pot directly on the bathroom scale ??

no need to weight yourself with and without it to get the difference.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The OXO scale I use weighs up to 5 pounds. They also have one that goes up to 11 pounds & one that goes up to 22 pounds.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I use a brand called Soehnle (might have the spelling a bit wrong...) and the one I have weighs up to about 5 kilos (~11 pounds). Just be sure to get one large enough that you can sit a pot on it and still see the number! :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Some bathroom scales won't weigh anything under about 5 kilos, which I discovered while attempting to weigh my cat. :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

Some bathroom scales won't weigh anything under about 5 kilos, which I discovered while attempting to weigh my cat. :D

Oh ok.

Mine do ( digital scales) - have weighed pots on them before.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    The one I got at Walmart goes up to 11 lbs. It handles my crock pot and insta-pot well.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My scale says it weighs 5 kilos but often zonks out at anything above 3.5 kilos. What I do is use a big empty yoghurt tub and once my dish (soup or chilli etc.) is cooked and cooled a bit, I transfer it to the yoghurt tub on the scale.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

You could still weigh the pot (or your cat) with the bathroom scale. Weigh yourself separately, then weigh yourself holding the pot (or cat). Then do the maths. I've done this to see how heavy my backpack is.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I never put a pot on my kitchen scale, and I am not going to use my bathroom scale for that either. I make all my portions 250gram per serving, regardless of the total amount. For me that is easier and less cumbersome.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I never put a pot on my kitchen scale, and I am not going to use my bathroom scale for that either. I make all my portions 250gram per serving, regardless of the total amount. For me that is easier and less cumbersome.

but how do you know the total weight of the product to figure out the percentage that 250g is (i.e calories for a recipe that makes 2000g is going to be vastly different than a recipe that makes 4000g of food)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I ran into the same issue with my Escali Primo scale that I use regularly that topped out at 11 lbs. Large batches of soups would top that. I added a My Weigh KD-8000 for heavier duty. It's a bit of a beast, but it's a much easier scale to use for baking and goes up to 17 lbs 9 oz (8 kg). It's also easier to see the display with large pots/pans and plates compared to my smaller scale.

https://myweigh.com/product/kd8000/
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

You could still weigh the pot (or your cat) with the bathroom scale. Weigh yourself separately, then weigh yourself holding the pot (or cat). Then do the maths. I've done this to see how heavy my backpack is.

That's what I ended up doing for the cat (and what OP is doing with her pot). In case anyone wants the end of the story, she weighed 3 kilos. :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Mine goes up to 11 lbs but yea some of my pots are too heavy for it when filled with food. You are way more dedicated than I am. When my scale wont read the weight I just say F it and forget the whole thing altogether lol. I have on occasion transferred all the food into a lighter container to weigh it but... that's just ridiculous.
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

but how do you know the total weight of the product to figure out the percentage that 250g is (i.e calories for a recipe that makes 2000g is going to be vastly different than a recipe that makes 4000g of food)

When I enter a recipe in the recipe section, and this applies mostly to stews, chilis and soups, I determine that it will be for 6 servings of 250grams each. If at the end the total is less than 1500gr (250x6), then the last portion would be a fraction of 1. If the recipe is more than 1500 grams, then I edit the servings to 7, 8 or whatever.

My kitchen scale would not take a big pot full of food. And even if it does, I wouldn't be able to see the numbers so I decided to do my calculations backward. It works for me.

@AlyssaPetsDogs You can also transfer the cooked product to a pot or bowl lighter/smaller than the original pot, weigh the final product in several steps, and then add the total. Happy dish washing, unless you have a dishwasher...

• Gisel2015
    Options

I would do that with a backpack or a small luggage, but not with a pot full of food. No way Jose!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    The OXO scale I use weighs up to 5 pounds. They also have one that goes up to 11 pounds & one that goes up to 22 pounds.

I have the 11 pound OXO. It handles everything I make except for a big pot of gumbo in my heavy dutch oven.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

That's how we weigh our cat. He was a rescue cat and was underweight when we got him after being abandoned by his former people and found by the landlord in the empty apartment >.<
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i have the 11 pound oxo. i love that that the numbers pull out so you can read it when you have a crock pot on it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you're willing to spend, there are a ton of commercial scales that would fit the bill. I suspect some (many?) postal scales would as well.