Hair Help

Options
cdstadt
cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
Hey guys.

Long story short, I've recently been teasing my hair and generally neglecting it. As a result, I got some pretty gnarly rats nests in my hair. I have one left that my boyfriend is going to get out after he gets off work (I can't see it and I'm terrified of using scissors on myself).

This has left my hair is a state of nasty. I have mid-back length hair and LOTS of it. The individual hairs are also thick-- so lots of thick hair at least gives me a lot to work with.

Anyone have any pictures of mid-length hair they'd think fit this kind of style:
Courtney Love
Helena Bonham Carter
Taylor Momsen
"Rocker" or "gothy" ?

I cried a little today. My long hair is like a security blanket even though my boyfriend would KILL to have me wear the Ramona Flowers cut...

Replies

• dancingphoenix
    Options
    Before you cut it... soak it with conditioner... let the conditioner sit on it for a while... You may not even need to use the scissors. The hairs may even be able to come apart and slip out from each other without you having to cut them out. I had dreadlocks in before and when I went to take the dreads out, I had a hard time getting the knots out. I used alot of conditioner and oils like olive oil because they can make the hair slippery and it also bonds to the hair to make them stronger. For the most part, my hair always ended up softer and the matted hair balls that I had always dissolved in the oils and conditioner. You may need to leave it in there for a long time, an hour or more, and then softly move the hair ball around in your fingers and try to gently separate the hairs moving in a circular pattern at first. This also helps the conditioner/oils penetrate the center of the ball. You can even have your boyfriend massage the conditioner/oil into the knots for you and he can visually inspect them for you. With some luck and time, you may not need to drastically change your hairstyle. :)
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    have you tried using Aussie? It really works on tangled hair and you may not have to cut it.
    Get the conditioner and try to comb out the hair while it is wet (preferably while still IN the shower)

I buy both the conditioner and the 3 minute miracle. My hair is curly and hard to manage, this is some of the best stuff I have ever used.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Are you look for styles, or are looking to get your hair cut? Honestly, I think you should go for the Ramona Flowers look... if you hate it, it's just hair, it will grow back :) Try something new and fun!!! :)

My tips:

Buy one of those wide toothed combs and keep it in the shower. While conditioning, comb your hair to help get the knots out.

This is a pricey leave-in... but it has helped my hair become tangle free and healthy, so it's totally worth it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leave--Protein-Cream-DaoPlex-5-01-oz/dp/B0032FDI7C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1314308239&sr=8-5
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    IMO :D I think you should do the Ramona haircut, I think it would suit you. Plus it will grow back eventually so no worries if you don't like it. You may find you like short hair just as well as long.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Tried oils, tried combing (all sorts), using my hands, and just blatantly ripping! All kinds of sprays and conditioners... mostly Pureology. it's really a mess. I'll add a picture from my phone to my profile.

I'm telling you, I've had my share of knots in my life, but these are bona fide rats nests.

I mean, we didn't just cut the knots off, he cuts through at certain points in order to unravel the hair better. It's excruciating and I don't have a tender head, but it's worth it to keep some length. The inside of the nests were bone dry even when veggie oil had been soaking on it for who knows how long. It's like the back of my head as one big dread, which you know, was cool for a WHILE. But it got so heavy in the shower it felt like Pennywise was dragging my head towards the drain.

I already made a hair appointment with my stylist in my home town for Tuesday (or Wednesday? crap.), and I just wanted to show her a picture of two if she thinks that more than thinning or a trim won't do.

I'm thinking this?
    6081129670_84cdc8f059.jpg
    hair by CDStadt, on Flickr
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Sounds like your at the point of cutting the knots out since nothing else is working. lol Meh, it happens. Not the end of the world. I would let the stylist cut that last knot out, though.

I love love love that style and you have the facial structure to pull it off VERY well!!! Definitely give it a try!

Ask your stylist to do a deep conditioning treatment to repair the dry spots, and then start using a leave in conditioner until you see an improvement (the one I recommended is amazing, but any type of leave in will help). Combing regular conditioner through your hair (while in the shower) will also help keep it untangled, moving forward.

I live in Vegas, and the dry climate was murder on my hair. It got so dry, brittle and knots just naturally happened. My scalp was gross :( A deep conditioning treatment and a good leave-in saved me! I had to use the leave-in every other day for a month, but now I only have to use it about once a month. My hair has never been so healthy.

Post pics after you get the cut! :happy: