Macro calories 30/30/40 etc....

crowleyed72
crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
I understand calorie defects an all. Calories in vs out on weight loss how important is protein/carbohydrates/fat an how much of each you need. Is it worth going premium for a couple months or seeking out a nutritionist.

Replies

• HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    For weight loss, macros do not matter. Their biggest effect on weight loss is how full each one keeps you for how long. The keto diet, for instance, works great for people who find both protein and fat filling, but don't need carbs to keep them full. I, personally, have a higher level of protein and carbs and lower fat, because those two macros keep me the fullest. If you want to lose weight, you'll have to eat less than you did before. Finding the right macro balance for you to feel full will help immensely. It can stop you from eating a snack you didn't plan for and keep you in a calorie deficit that day. The only way you'll figure it out is to track your calories and macros and experiment. I have never had the premium version, so I can't tell you how effective it is. I hope this helps!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    The only thing premium will do for in tracking macros compared to the free version is let you base your macro goals directly on grams, rather than percentage of total calories. You can do that for yourself (write the grams down, or just remember them. It's only three numbers -- really only two, since for most people it's sufficient to set goals for fat and protein and let the remaining calories fall where they will).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The only thing premium will do for in tracking macros compared to the free version is let you base your macro goals directly on grams, rather than percentage of total calories. You can do that for yourself (write the grams down, or just remember them. It's only three numbers -- really only two, since for most people it's sufficient to set goals for fat and protein and let the remaining calories fall where they will).

Premium does have a handful of more tools for tracking macros than the free version. It allows you to see the macro percentage for each meal, in addition to the grams. It gives you easy lists of which foods you had that were highest in which macros. And it allows you to add macros when you do a quick add calories. I think there are a few other things but those are the ones that come to my mind that I find myself using.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

Premium does have a handful of more tools for tracking macros than the free version. It allows you to see the macro percentage for each meal, in addition to the grams. It gives you easy lists of which foods you had that were highest in which macros. And it allows you to add macros when you do a quick add calories. I think there are a few other things but those are the ones that come to my mind that I find myself using.

With the free version, you can find "quick add"macros in the food database to add (independently of foods). If you log a meal on a day where you haven't logged anything else, you can see the macro breakdown for that meal in the free app. You can skim your food diary in the free app (landscape orientation) to locate foods you've had that are high in particular macros.

No doubt there's a convenience factor in the premium version for doing these things. I've just seen too many people say that once you've signed up for premium, it can be very difficult to get MFP to let you switch back to free. That doesn't seem very convenient to me.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Use the free access first. First, examine your journal as it is for several days. What are the percentages with current regimine ? What foods do you like the most that make you feel like it is helping you toward your goal. Be true to yourself. Once you have established the types of food you feel work and examine your breakdown, do some reading (be careful where you get the information from). There are many approaches, programs, theories and trends. There is no one right way, and every single person is entirely unique.

I believe in caloreis first and foremost, period. I also believe WHAT we eat DOES matter for many reasons- health, heart, mental, energy- which most likely will ultimately corolate to our weight over a long term.

I noticed my sugar and carbs were much higher than I imagined, even though I do not eat bread, pasta, etc. It was not enough fat. I changed my foods and went to a lower carb, higher fat plan that was focused on elimination of sugars. I do a 40 (protein) / 30 (fat) / 30 (carb). Some days I end up at a higher fat and less carbs and feel a lot better. I do feel and see a major difference. I considered Keto but I do not think that it is best. (the keto diet was designed for seizure and epilepsy treatment). Some other variations I may do are 40 (protein), 40 (fat), 20 (carb) or 45 (protein), 35 (fat), 20 (carb).

Remember to you can try several breakdowns and change the around.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Macros don't matter for weight loss, but they may help you structure your diet and they may matter for satiety. I would not go straight to premium, but would experiment -- either with the default or if you are interested in 40-30-30, as you mentioned it.

Protein specifically is important if you are losing weight and trying to maintain muscle, as it is helpful (as is resistance training). You don't need a super high goal, something like .65g-.85g per lb of a healthy goal weight should be sufficient (I went on the higher end of that since as a 40-something woman maintaining muscle faces some challenges, especially when in a deficit). Many also find getting at least that range of protein helps with satiety. What I did was set my protein goal based on my calories and gram desire -- for example, healthy goal weight of 125, .8 of that = 100g (and 400 cal), and if a 1500 cal diet, the percentage I want is 400/1500 or 26.67%. So I set it for 25%, but also had that easy to remember 100g number in my head.

The default MFP goals are 20% protein, 50% carbs, and 30% fat, and many just start with those and see how they feel and adjust if they are having any issues with satiety, etc. In particular, I wouldn't worry about hitting them perfectly every day, but use them (and the other things you track -- I recommend fiber as one possibility) to learn more about your diet and possible tweaks. For example, you can see what foods are contributing what.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    My macros tend to naturally be about 40/40/20 for C/F/P. I guess it means I'm usually over on fat per MFP's calculations but mneh.