Any of My Fellow Martial Artists Out There?

Options
Hello! I am a 2nd degree Black belt in Taekwondo. I compete regularly in forms (poomsae) and I am looking for any Martial artists out there that have a specific training regime for improving their kicks and techniques! Would love to hear what it hers use and am always looking for ways to improve!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    What do you want to improve? I used to do weighted stretches to improve reach and height, and used to practice speed work to flick the kicks (more for sparring). If it’s for patterns then just repeatedly practicing the moves and getting your form right is the best option - and as a second dan you’re already good at that. Do you film your kicks in slow mo and watch them back?
  • Faiz031
    Faiz031 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    UK, red belt taekwondo here, with belts in Kick boxing also. Feel free to add :)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    1st Dan In tkd.. had to stop due to back issue.

Depends on your style.. majority in today's tkd is all show and flexibility.

Back then it was about strength, motion and crisp snaps of each movement (the actual poomse)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I used to train in Tang Soo Do. Got to 2D before 3 doctors told me to retire from training. Degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet.
    Something I used to do was go through all the forms without any rest between. The hot my heartrate up and a good sweat on.
    I would also do drills building a horse stance and learning stance for 60 seconds.
    Feel the burn.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats and strength training such as leg press has improved the power and explosiveness of my kicks a lot. I train Krav Maga.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Retired nidan here in Gosoku-Ryu karate who trained a year in TKD before switching. You need to break down "improving' into various components.

Obviously stretching as you know and others have shared.

Strengthening the lift muscles like hip flexors is important because the chamber, step 1, is what makes the remaining 3 steps - extension, retraction and return to starting position - possible. If step 1 is poor, so will be the rest. One exercise I liked was doing a wall sit and lifting and chambering my leg like step 1 of a front kick, actually performing a slow and controlled front kick from a wall sit position.

Speed and explosiveness - sprints and box jumps are good. And, it goes without saying, kicking the heavy bag and focus pad held by a training partner.

Reaction - having a training partner hold a visual cue - such as red and green objects. When the red object is flashed, you perform a designated kick, when the other colored object is flashed, you perform another kick. You're only limited by your imagination.

Be safe and watch the volume. Don't allow your youth to seduce you to doing mindless reps. If you do, you'll have a day of reckoning as other will share. Enjoy your youth.
  • santiago1962
    santiago1962 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also a retired nidan here. Tang Soo Do.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I know 15 kinds of armed combat. *puts on shades*

I'm only good at... two. Lol. My teacher gets bored so our group which started with three styles/weapons started picking up more and more styles, plus a couple extra weapons. No grades because I could never afford to challenge for them. :(

I've been on hiatus for a couple years though so I probably suck now, but I used to entertain myself by going through all my forms in super slow motion like I was in molasses, and then doing them backwards. Doing them backwards was super helpful for learning how my body mechanics worked.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    alringg wrote: »
    Hello! I am a 2nd degree Black belt in Taekwondo. I compete regularly in forms (poomsae) and I am looking for any Martial artists out there that have a specific training regime for improving their kicks and techniques! Would love to hear what it hers use and am always looking for ways to improve!

Kung Fu primarily is my background. You may consider:
    • Suspension training
    • Resistance bands mindful of the tension-strengths you can work with and build up towards
    • ETA: You may also inculcate suspension training in the water if you're so inclined; Beginning waist-deep.
  • jabari18
    jabari18 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    White belt TKD and BJJ. Novice boxing and Muy Thai as well.

My kicks needs plenty improving so I’m hear to learn :)

• Jetrail
    Jetrail Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm a white belt in shotokan karate and a yellow belt in Kanzen Ryu Karate. My struggle with kicks it balance, so I practice lifting holding form as in leg up in the position before throwing the kick. There is also some great videos on getting your kicks higher etc.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @jetrail with shotokan, you’ll not encounter the pressure to kick higher like the Korean styles. As a relative beginner, develop your mae-geri and perfect the lift and chamber that I discuss in an earlier post. Enjoy your time being a karateka, I enjoyed mine.
  • KristineEmerald
    KristineEmerald Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m a Brown Belt Taekwondo Athlete. What i usually do is train mwf then strength train every tuesday and thursday. I walk for 15 minutes every morning and do 30 leg lifts by 3 sets every night.