Starvation mode real?

Options
If I eat under 1200 calories will my body go into starvation mode and stop burning fat? I don’t purposely eat below 1200 but sometimes I add up calories to about 1000 or so and now I’m worried after reading about starvation mode

Replies

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    No, but there are many other good reasons not to undereat, and no good reason to go below 1200 other than being under extremely close medical supervision.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    tjsims8 wrote: »
    If I eat under 1200 calories will my body go into starvation mode and stop burning fat? I don’t purposely eat below 1200 but sometimes I add up calories to about 1000 or so and now I’m worried after reading about starvation mode

Actual starvation mode would result in death. Long term of serious under eating may wreck one's longevity goals however.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nope... you can starve to death... ask anyone who has been through a famine
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I disagree. I am a 5'4 female that weighs 189lbs and both my diabetic Dr and my weight loss Dr told me to eat 1,200 calories a day. That's not too low. Also when I did the scale on this website it told me 1,200 calories a day too. My weight loss Dr said females around my hight and weight should be on 1,200 calories, 80g of carbs, and 90g of protein a day, diabetic or not. (Which is slightly different then the scale on here.) She also said u always wake up in fat burning mode and breakfast should always be only protein with no or almost no carbs, eggs, meat, protein shakes, etc. Whole grain carbs are for lunch and dinner and always eat lotsa veggies and drink lotsa water :D

*Most females don't get enough protein in there diet.

I'm 5'4 started at 145ish and ate 1500 cals to lose weight, usually eating 150-200g of carbs. Lost weight as expected, great blood work. Either your doctors felt those numbers were necessary for you specifically or they are not well versed in nutrition (which unfortunately is a possibility). But eating that way is certainly not necessary, and would be counter productive for some. 1200 cals and only 80g of carbs would've left me hangry and low energy and pretty much guaranteed failure. Hopefully your docs are leading you to the best path for you though!