Super itchy skin

whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
For the past week or so the skin on my back has been super itchy, no matter how much lotion I apply and how many cool showers I take. It’s just my back, nowhere else. Nothing in my routine (soap, clothes, sheets, etc.) has changed. Could this be due to the different eating pattern I’ve been on since Jan, trying to lose weight? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    U sure it's not eczema you have.. not just skin irritation?
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Hello OP - could hormones be an issue ?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Have you started eating any new foods that you might be allergic to?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    lx1x wrote: »
    U sure it's not eczema you have.. not just skin irritation?

I was going to say the same. My eczema has been flaring up the past couple of months for the first time in 20 years. It's so dang itchy.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Coconut oil and almond oil make me itch like crazy, especially on my back--whether or not I've applied them to my back. Oddly, I can eat coconut and almonds in all forms, but cannot have them on my skin. Maybe something similar in your case?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    A simple thing, oops 2, to rule out first.

Now that it is warming up are you sweating more if working out outside?
    A cool soapless shower and mild exfoliation may help with that.

Have you stripped off a layer or two if you are outside and have a bit of a sun burn/rash?

Cool shower and aloe vera, or calamine lotion, should help.

My obvious questions because I’m outside more in a cami or sports bra this month and have to make sure I have sunblock on my back so I don’t burn.

Cheers, h.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Has your doctor checked your phosphorus levels?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sounds eczema related or allergy related. my eczema too has been acting up after years of not bothering me
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2019
    A soak in Epsom salts is cheap, won't hurt, and might be what you need.

This is in the context of widespread magnesium deficiency.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    There are some good ideas here already but I would like to add another perspective. Have you ever had a skin reaction to cheap jewelry, watches, belt buckles etc? If so, you have a nickel allergy. Nickel allergy has a skin reaction only for and a systemic form. If you have the systemic form then a sudden increase in high nickel foods like wholegrains, quite a few veges, oats, pulses, nuts and seeds could be responsible. When nickel climbs, the body tries to get rid of it by any means including sweating. Often you can get itchy patches before an actual outbreak, particularly on the hands or face but can be anywhere. For me it's my hands and scalp. There is also cobalt allergy which is similar.
    If you suspect this, you need to get tested by a dermatologist. It might be a good idea to do this anyway if your itching doesn't go away or is disruptive for you.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I guess it could be a number of the things that have been so helpfully posted although nothing stands out to me as a probable cause. I finally tried some over the counter hydrocortisone cream and it is helping. I will try popping a Benadryl tonite at bedtime and see if that helps further. Thanks all!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Unfortunately it is possible to develop allergies or sensitivity to things even if they have always been fine before.

If it persists I would try taking everything back to basics, very simple hypo - allergenic toiletries, non-bio washing powder etc, for a few weeks, then if it eases off you can try re-introducing things slowly to see how you get on.

I've had to do this a couple of times in the past, it's a right pain but sometimes the only way to figure it out.