Tracking Tips

Options
What is your favorite tip or hack to motivate tracking in food diary? Please limit tips to one per post.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I add my recent daily foods individually to "my meals" so I can have an easy curated list of items without the rando Easter dinner inserting itself into my list.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Stick to basic ingredients on a daily basis which makes daily food / beverage tracking easy. I just have to make sure to remember those different items to prepare meals.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    When making a meal, put the plate/bowl on the scales, tare between each item, and make a quick note of each weight for later.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I made separate "meals" for day snacks (that I'm likely to have at work) and evening snacks (that I usually have at home) so my favorites are kind of specialized by location instead of lumped together. I'm really into snacks. B)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    For snacks like nuts, dried fruit, sweets, etc pre-portion into small tubs/bags and weigh - use a dry wipe marker to mark the weight on the tub for quicker/easier logging.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Pre log as much as you can. Enter everything before you eat it.

Make recipes for everything even if you cook like me (no measurements, just make it up as I go) since it's easier to edit amounts than re-enter all the ingredients every time.

If I'm going to the kitchen, I always have my phone. Even if I'm just feeding the cat. Just in case I feel like eating.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you have an android phone, put the widget on your home screen. You can jump straight into the scanner or straight to adding food to your diary, and it always shows your remaining calories. https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1404270-how-do-i-install-android-myfitnesspal-widget-
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat exactly the same breakfast and lunch every day. Logging takes seconds.

• beachbebe
    beachbebe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Prelogging today :)
    Terytha wrote: »
    Pre log as much as you can. Enter everything before you eat it.

Make recipes for everything even if you cook like me (no measurements, just make it up as I go) since it's easier to edit amounts than re-enter all the ingredients every time.

If I'm going to the kitchen, I always have my phone. Even if I'm just feeding the cat. Just in case I feel like eating.