How to Eat Less Carbs??

2»

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I succeeded at losing weight by cutting carbs. Not eliminating them, but reducing them. The weight loss happened because that cut out a lot of calories that I normally eat - beer, ice cream, cookies, etc. What ultimately worked best for me was to try to eat as healthy as possible, but on the weekend I could have two items that I normally wouldn't - either a beer or a piece of pie or pizza, etc. Not a cheat meal or cheat day, just two items that were treats. Since I knew I could have them later, I didn't feel that deprived. It led me to think about which foods I was happy skipping (chips) and which I really enjoyed (ice cream). When treats become every day foods, i gain weight. When they really are something special, I don't. YMMV
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Google blue zones. The world is full of people who eat high carb diets and aren't obese.

Cookies aren't just carbs anyway. Cookies, pizza, and candy generally include a high portion of fat also. Fat and carbs are often a yummy combination. Eliminating them for a diet (temporarily) is a strategy.....for dieting.

Look for forever strategies. I like to focus on meeting protein and fiber. This helps me choose foods that are more filling to me. I allow a treat everyday. I think it forces me to be more choosy.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    whmscll wrote: »
    One thing I think people do is lump all carbs together. But there is a HUGE difference between carbs from cookies, cakes, ice cream, white bread, etc., and whole grain, whole fruit and vegetable carbs that also contain protein, vitamins/minerals, and less fat. I often see people refer to “carbs/sugary stuff.” But there is a difference between empty sugary carbs and carbs that actually contain a lot of nutrition.

It's still going to be pretty individualized though. I'm transitioning from a mostly whole foods plant focused, high carb/low fat diet to a mostly whole foods, low carb/high fat diet, and I now realize that higher carb whole foods-things like whole grains, beans, fruit etc do nothing for me, in terms of making me feel full.

Cutting down on those types of whole foods and replacing them with high fat foods, that are also nutrient dense whole foods, has had a pretty significant impact on my hunger cues and I no longer have a constant nagging hunger and have had a major reduction in appetite, which has led to me taking in less calories etc.

Different foods/different macros is so individualized, what clicks with one person will be another person's failure.

eta: edit grammar stuff
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    One thing I think people do is lump all carbs together. But there is a HUGE difference between carbs from cookies, cakes, ice cream, white bread, etc., and whole grain, whole fruit and vegetable carbs that also contain protein, vitamins/minerals, and less fat. I often see people refer to “carbs/sugary stuff.” But there is a difference between empty sugary carbs and carbs that actually contain a lot of nutrition.

It's still going to be pretty individualized though. I'm transitioning from a mostly whole foods plant focused, high carb/low fat diet to a mostly whole foods, low carb/high fat diet, and I now realize that whole grains, beans, fruit etc do nothing for me, in terms of making me feel full.

Cutting down on those types of foods and replacing them with high fat foods, (still nutrient dense, whole foods), has had a pretty significant impact on my hunger cues and I no longer have a constant nagging hunger and have had a major reduction in appetite, which has led to me taking in less calories etc. Different foods/different macros is so individualized, what clicks with one person will be another person's failure.

While that's true (white bread is a staple in my diet because it satisfies me), we need to consider why OP is trying to cut down on carbs. She heard they make you fat. They don't, at least not without context. There is no good reason to cut them out other than personal preference or medical concerns. She does have medical concerns, so cutting down (not necessarily out) does help if she can manage it, but it's not absolutely necessary if she can't. If including them feels less of a struggle than cutting them out, then that trumps any perceived or real benefits of any particular diet. Prediabetes is not a diagnosis, it's a precursor. Weight loss helps immensely with that, regardless of the choice of diet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019

You make an important point. I do think OP might have good reason to limit (to some degree) even nutrient dense carbs, but to me "carbs" (used casually) tends to mean starches (beans, lentils, corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, barley, rice (brown or white), pasta (which is typically eaten with veg and protein and fat IMO), so on), plus fruit. Veg are of course primarily carbs too, but are low enough cal that they don't have a lot until you eat a lot. I don't really think of sweet treats as "carbs" since I dislike pretty much all sweet treats that don't also include fat (with the exception of these popsicles made from fruit juice only that I sometimes get a craving for when it's hot).

I think it's interesting when people call "cakes, cookies, muffins" and even pizza (which has all three macros) carbs when really for many people the issue is likely that they are carbs + fat, and get lots of cals from both (often more from fat), so are high cal and for many tend to be harder to control than plain carbs would be, especially if they have higher fiber and are eaten in the context of a meal. As others have said, I like some dessert foods (ice cream! pie! coffee cake!) and used to enjoy muffins (muffins are just never worth the cals for me anymore), but they are tons of cals, not great in terms of nutrients, and not filling for me in a lasting way (and too easy to eat when I'm not hungry), so even though I don't limit carbs, I tend to limit cals for them and eat them only with extra cals that have been designated (I usually don't log now, but basically follow the same pattern).

Also (and I may be repeating myself), many of the foods mentioned are dessert items, so they likely are eaten on their own. As others have said, I think it gets easier to make good food choices and not overeat when you make sure your diet is full of balanced (include protein, healthy fat, fiber, vegetables, maybe fruit) meals and don't automatically reach for treats when hungry. If you have had a nourishing meal and aren't hungry it's easier to have a bit of something high cal and not go overboard.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    I have found that when I eat "carbs" like baked goods, or grain products (breads of all kinds) and sugar that is refined, I am hungry and will eat to curb that hunger. It takes a while to get over it too. But when I eat "natural" carbs, fruits and vegetables, I do well and don't get the hunger pangs that drive me mad!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

You make an important point. I do think OP might have good reason to limit (to some degree) even nutrient dense carbs, but to me "carbs" (used casually) tends to mean starches (beans, lentils, corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, barley, rice (brown or white), pasta (which is typically eaten with veg and protein and fat IMO), so on), plus fruit. Veg are of course primarily carbs too, but are low enough cal that they don't have a lot until you eat a lot. I don't really think of sweet treats as "carbs" since I dislike pretty much all sweet treats that don't also include fat (with the exception of these popsicles made from fruit juice only that I sometimes get a craving for when it's hot).

I think it's interesting when people call "cakes, cookies, muffins" and even pizza (which has all three macros) carbs when really for many people the issue is likely that they are carbs + fat, and get lots of cals from both (often more from fat), so are high cal and for many tend to be harder to control than plain carbs would be, especially if they have higher fiber and are eaten in the context of a meal. As others have said, I like some dessert foods (ice cream! pie! coffee cake!) and used to enjoy muffins (muffins are just never worth the cals for me anymore), but they are tons of cals, not great in terms of nutrients, and not filling for me in a lasting way (and too easy to eat when I'm not hungry), so even though I don't limit carbs, I tend to limit cals for them and eat them only with extra cals that have been designated (I usually don't log now, but basically follow the same pattern).

Also (and I may be repeating myself), many of the foods mentioned are dessert items, so they likely are eaten on their own. As others have said, I think it gets easier to make good food choices and not overeat when you make sure your diet is full of balanced (include protein, healthy fat, fiber, vegetables, maybe fruit) meals and don't automatically reach for treats when hungry. If you have had a nourishing meal and aren't hungry it's easier to have a bit of something high cal and not go overboard.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Google blue zones. The world is full of people who eat high carb diets and aren't obese.

Cookies aren't just carbs anyway. Cookies, pizza, and candy generally include a high portion of fat also. Fat and carbs are often a yummy combination. Eliminating them for a diet (temporarily) is a strategy.....for dieting.

Look for forever strategies. I like to focus on meeting protein and fiber. This helps me choose foods that are more filling to me. I allow a treat everyday. I think it forces me to be more choosy.

This is important. A lot of times I see foods that get lumped into the "carbs are bad" category that are not actually that carb heavy. I've even seen it in other threads where posters will use fast food as carbs being an example of being bad. But if you look at a lot of fast food, it's actually pretty low overall in carbs (minus obviously like a 40oz big gulp). For instance at Wendy's, the Dave's Triple Classic (a favorite of mine), is practically Keto. 26 grams of carbs, which is only 10% of the total. A lot of fast food is very high in fat and low in carbs. So it's weird how carbs gets singled out of some of these foods.