I’m 48 struggling to get started

Melolson14
Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
Hi I’m 48 years old
I’m having a very hard time getting started.: I know I should and that I can do this. Wait let me start from a few years ago.
2013 I was doing really goid on exercising and eat right, then in 2014 I ran a marathon relay. I finished and it was awesome!!! I ended up hurting my knee and I can not run anymore. After that happened, I started eating bad not exercising, so everything I worked hard to get off came back. For some reason I’m really having a hard time getting back into it again. I keep telling myself I should . But nothing happens. Any ideas on what I should do or how to change it?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Just pick one thing and do it. I would suggest committing to logging everything you eat -- not trying to hit any particular goal, just honestly recording everything you eat. But if that's for you, pick something else. Have you recovered from your injury? Could you commit to walking for 10 minutes a day five days a week?
  • Melolson14
    I’m thinking of trying to walk 2 miles a day and log in my food
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    I remember that feeling. I didn’t lose the bulk of my weight till I was 51. I picked one thing. One thing I thought I could check off my list. Turns out it’s the one thing that keeps the weight off me. Exercise. I keep active no matter how well or bad I’m eating. Exercise always brings my eating back in line.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Lots of good advice so far. I'm 52 and have lost most of the weight I wanted to over the last couple of years. I did that through a combination of maintaining a calorie deficit and strength training. If I was to pick one thing then it would be to track all food and drink to build awareness, which you might think you have, but if you're not being honest with yourself and tracking everything there's no accountability. Walking is good, but you can't out-exercise a poor diet so food and drink intake is the number one priority. Good luck.
  • 200x50xmack
    200x50xmack Posts: 15 Member
    I'm a firm believe in the "Performance Triad" - Exercise, Nutrition, and Sleep.

What follows is anecdotal & personal - but can surmise that it could be true for others: Those three are interdependent and supporting - in either a negative way (didn't sleep well --> don't feel like exercising, so skip it --> eat junk cuz I'm feeling tired and lethargic...repeat) or a positive way (Exercised ---> want to eat well to "not waste the exercise"---> sleep better)

for my personality, the easiest one to control is Exercise. Just Do It (to borrow a phrase). Doesn't really matter what, just do what I can: Didn't sleep well for some reason --> Exercise anyway, just do what I can, a "lousy workout is better than none" ---> eat better because of exercising ---> Sleep better (one, tired from the previous poor night's sleep + worked out, burned some energy)….sorta "self-correcting"

Hope that helps some.
  • Melolson14
    Thank you everyone
    It helps hearing that I’m not the only one
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I didn't do anything about it. Then other traumatic life events happened and I gained more weight. I didn't do anything about it. Then I hurt my knee. I didn't do anything about it. I developed high blood pressure and was put on meds. I didn't do anything about it. The BP meds were recalled. I kept taking them and didn't do anything about it. Then I had a routine doctor's appointment and she said, I'm going run labs. I think you are pre-diabetic.

For some reason, my high A1C was what finally *FINALLY* motivated me to do something about it. My biggest regret is that I ignored so many warning signs. I'm just now down to the weight I was when I first gained a lot of weight. Oh how I wish I would have started then.

Don't be me.
  • susansmckenzie
    susansmckenzie Posts: 6 Member
    I can't run either. Because I used to be a triathlete before I stopped running, I am more self-critical of my biking and swimming - at least until I got hooked on exercise again. It helped to do things I didn't expect to do well but wanted to learn - yoga, pilates, zumba, TRX are all classes I've done at the Y with low expectations for myself other than showing up and trying something new with fun people. I have had success looking at time as being in semesters as in school or even seasons and trying one new thing at a time. For example last winter I did yoga consistently, in the summer I tried pilates, fall zumba, I'm doing TRX and other strength classes now. Odd I know; but it's worked for me. Meanwhile I have enjoyed swimming and biking for recreation. The food part I just honestly tracked and habits gradually changed over time. I do use a meal delivery plan off and on (HelloFresh is my choice). It helps me when I'm just in a rut or need a reminder of what portion sizes should be. Plus there's less leftovers to tempt me.
  • rchisholmrn
    rchisholmrn Posts: 2 Member
    Should want to never seems to work. Do some breathing exercises and tell yourself all the reasons you want to do it. what will be better, what makes you want to do it / write your answers and tell yourself you will do it when you're ready. The mind is a really heard thing to drag along- you just have to get your mind wrapped differently. Meditation , relaxation, be kind to yourself.
    You want to do this because you love yourself and it would be a good gift to give yourself. Do not beat yourself up! good luck
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Just pick one thing and do it. I would suggest committing to logging everything you eat -- not trying to hit any particular goal, just honestly recording everything you eat. But if that's for you, pick something else. Have you recovered from your injury? Could you commit to walking for 10 minutes a day five days a week?

This.

As soon as I started weighing and logging, I got a bit of a shock ..... which propelled me in the right direction and that was after I had adjusted for my health markers recent flirtation with T2.

A potential second step is walking if you are able.

Walking has also been a revelation for me in terms of mental health as well as physical benefits.

Please be kind to yourself - you have already made the best decision which is to do something about it - I am not sure many people can claim every moment of their weightloss journey was easy and/or fun.

Good luck OP - you can do this !
  • tccroston
    tccroston Posts: 34 Member
    Wow! It’s like I’m reading a little bit of my history in almost every post!

I heroically tore my ACL back in ‘08 by slipping off my fire truck during a water rescue. I had two doctors, drama, it was a mess. Long story short, put on a ton of weight (easily over 100 lbs), felt pretty sorry for myself, and that didn’t help.

As I got over it (off work for over a year) and back into a routine, it slowly started to come back down. I felt like garbage, and just figured I’d never be as active as I was.

I learned to be comfortable being larger than normal, and figured that was the new normal.

But recently I started paying attention to it, cut back on some calories and tried to do it myself.

I went to the doctor recently, and he encouraged me to start logging in MFP daily, keeping track of my foods, and keeping up on it. So here I am...

Walking when I can, and if I ever find time to hit the gym again, I’ll be able to incorporate weights and swimming back into my routine.

I travel a lot, so I’m going to start doing basic body weight exercises to get me started.

Good luck with your recovery! You’re not alone, and it looks like you’ve got several friends on here to keep you motivated!