I cried today during 30 day shred

I am re attempting 30 day shred I used to be good at level 1 and now I’m heavier it’s harder but my feet have bad pronation flat footed fallen arches and I exercise bare foot is this a bad thing? I just could do with some advice as my knees hurt so much and I’m
Worried I’m jumping on the sides of my feet did anyone else do this barefoot? Just feeling
Upset that my feet and knees ache so much that I have to stop start stop start

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    For one, I've done 30D Shred. I'd definitely take rest days. Muscles need rest. I'd def start out only doing the modified exercises. I can't remember the exact routine off the top of my head but I know there are jumping jacks. I'd do them slow and not try to keep up with Jillian, or look up jumping jack modifications. If that's where you are, that's where you are, and giving yourself injuries will certainly sideline your efforts in a big way. I do workout sometimes barefoot, but it depends. All the jumping, when I'm not used it it, results in foot cramps later for me. I only do barefoot when lifting or pilates/yoga stuff mostly.

By day 7, you may be able to keep up or to move out of modifying them. Or you may need to do the whole 30 days doing the modifications, then restart over doing the reg ones. That's if you're dead-set on using those videos.

Alternatively, you might want to look for lower impact videos until you drop a little weight. Fitness is grand, but weight loss happens mostly in the kitchen. As in your calorie deficit is king. Workouts really don't burn that many calories. BodyFit by Amy always has some good modifiers. And HASfit has many low impact workouts. Almost all their workouts have modifications in them. These both have free workout vids on YouTube. Walking is also a great, low impact option until you rehab your feet and knees a bit, or take some stress off them. Too much stress too soon isn't going to help you any.

So like I said, start where you are; then you'll be able to make it (eventually) where you want to go. This isn't a race that's over some time, you have to form good habits over time to lose weight, keep it off, and get fit. And then maintain those habit long term.
    HTH :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

Alternatively, you might want to look for lower impact videos until you drop a little weight. Fitness is grand, but weight loss happens mostly in the kitchen. As in your calorie deficit is king. Workouts really don't burn that many calories. BodyFit by Amy always has some good modifiers. And HASfit has many low impact workouts. Almost all their workouts have modifications in them. These both have free workout vids on YouTube. Walking is also a great, low impact option until you rehab your feet and knees a bit, or take some stress off them. Too much stress too soon isn't going to help you any.

^ All of this.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness doesn't have to come through punishing your body to the point of pain - I started out with HASFITs 17 min Beginners Strength Training and Low Impact Cardio.

Also if you are an over-pronater/flat footed then yes it would make sense to not do high impact stuff barefooted - that is likely why your feet and knees are hurting, you're basically just slapping your feet on the floor and sending those jolts up your legs. Wear some proper footwear with orthotic insoles to support your feet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Buy a good pair of shoes. :)
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks guys I do Jillian workouts because they help me mentally my
    Partner is going to work out today with me but I’m going to have to get proper shoes but the shoes that fit my orthotics are $200/$300 they design the orthotics so that only they shoes they sell can really fit them thank you for all your advice I’m just going to keep trying it’s day 5 today and I’m trying to watch form
  • browneyedbelle92
    I also walk 20/30 minutes every day and try and get my 10 000 steps best as I can
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Thanks guys I do Jillian workouts because they help me mentally my
    Partner is going to work out today with me but I’m going to have to get proper shoes but the shoes that fit my orthotics are $200/$300 they design the orthotics so that only they shoes they sell can really fit them thank you for all your advice I’m just going to keep trying it’s day 5 today and I’m trying to watch form

You can get a pair of insoles for $6 on amazon they won't be as good as ones moulded specifically for you but they will be better than being barefoot, I use them in my asics.
  • browneyedbelle92
    I may have to just sure some form of inner sole

My partner did it with me today it was a good bonding experience but I ended up getting a stitch so day six tomorrow

Also rest days I never take them because I feel like a failure or I have to start again what are you views on this?

Thanks guys
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    My view is you are asking for injuries and bad performance. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's fact. Even athletes take rest days. Muscles need rest. Otherwise you get so fatigued you can't properly do it and you will get hurt over time. There is such a thing as overtraining. 30 Day Shred is nice idea but it really should be 30 workouts with rest days within it. You need the rest days. It's not failure, it's strategic and smart. If you talked to Jillian one-on-one off the record, I'd bet money she'd tell you to take rest days. Especially if you are just starting back with exercise.
    My 87.5 cents on it. :smirk:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2019
    I am re attempting 30 day shred I used to be good at level 1 and now I’m heavier it’s harder but my feet have bad pronation flat footed fallen arches and I exercise bare foot is this a bad thing? I just could do with some advice as my knees hurt so much and I’m
    Worried I’m jumping on the sides of my feet did anyone else do this barefoot? Just feeling
    Upset that my feet and knees ache so much that I have to stop start stop start

Why? You don't have to punish yourself to become more fit. Take it one step at a time and progress gradually. Trying to do it all at once is a recipe for injury. Injury forces you to take time off.......that's time you are not progressing.

There are low impact circuit workouts (30 DS is a high-impact circuit workout). Here's a low impact one by Chris Freytag:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcsaoffblock&p=walking+cardio+shape-up#id=2&vid=8432b4882b13a6c1a1060ee4a69c0b5a&action=click

Be kind to yourself.
  • browneyedbelle92
    I think I am being hard on myself I’m going to just stick with what I can do if I feel I can to do it I will otherwise I might substitute a different workout and then go back to it thank you for all your input 😄
  • browneyedbelle92
    Thank you for everything I worked out today at a lower intensity and I’m going to speak to my podiatrist about my feet.