What are some low calorie meals under 500 calories

Options
I want meals under 500 calories but I’m struggling to come up with ideas. I have cook books but they all show how to make it for multiple people when I just need it for one person.

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    cut the recipe ingredients down to a more appropriate serving size or eat one serving and put the rest in the fridge for another day or freeze it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just google "low calorie meals for one" and you should get lots of options.

You might also look for low calorie meals for two and then you would have you enough for two meals.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I prefer cooking a normal recipe for 2-4 servings and then having left overs. many meals can be frozen if you don't want to eat them over consecutive days. of half it if it's for 4 servings. it sure beats cooking an entire new meal every day.

http://skinnytaste.com/ has tons of great recipes.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A few things I like that are easy to make 1-2 portions are:
    fajitas or burritos
    individual pizzas made on tortillas or naan bread with salad
    simple pad thai for one (I keep thai kitchen pad thai sauce on hand and add 1 tbsp to random stir frys)
    I make 4 individual chicken pot pies (you can find plenty of lightened up recipies online) at a time and freeze them for quick easy dinner

Hope this helps :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My go-to lately has been Flat Out pizza. I use the Flat Out wrap and put light alfredo, shredded chicken, sun dried tomatoes and cheese. If I have it I'll put some spinach on there too. Bake at 325 for 11 minutes. So yummy.

My daughter does Flat Out with sugar free BBQ sauce, shredded chicken and cheese.

You can do hundreds of different combinations.

My pizza usually comes to about 350 calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to make several portions and have it for the week or freeze, then you can make things like omelettes, salad or vegetables (I love zucchini noodles or roasted cauliflower) with a carb (like pasta or rice if you want just lower the portion for yourself) and a protein. You can buy chicken strips or make them yourself in bulk to use in your meals. Or use lean turkey/beef burgers, shrimp, canned tuna, fish fillets, etc.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chicken and vegetable curry - quickly prepared and heart warming - winter is coming up where we live. Curry base, half a deboned chicken breast without skin per person, onion, vegetable(s) of your choice, (today we use butternut which makes the dish ever so creamy), a tin of coconut milk (sugar free, 5 % fat,) top with a spoon full of plain yoghurt when serving. You can add "cauliflower rice" - also easy and quick to prepare. Total per person - large portion - between 400 and 450 calories. Enjoy!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    We have no idea what you like; if you have any allergies; what's available in your area; what your budget is; etc. YOU are the best person to figure out some 500 calorie meals for yourself! I could come up with all kinds of meals, but I would be wasting my time if you didn't like them; didn't have the ingredients available; didn't want to spend that much money; didn't want them to be "that high" in carbs, fat, protein, etc.

You have the exact same ability to use a cookbook and Google as we do!
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad. Pasta dishes can be as big or as small as you need. Scrambled eggs with bacon or mushrooms and toast.

Personally when I was single I'd make a meal for 2 or 4, eat one portion, take one for lunch (healthy and cheap) and freeze the rest. This works particularly well with lasagna or chili.

Your other option is to buy frozen stuff in bulk - hamburger patties, fish or chicken fillets, vegetables - and only cook what you need. I frequently bought a tray of 3 chicken breasts and would then parcel them into individual plastic bags and freeze 2 while cooking just the one.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    1.5 pieces of pepperoni pizza. Done. Bam.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @texasredreb Why comment then if you arnt going to give me any meal plans haha

There were 8 other people that offered some suggestions...you didn't acknowledge those people...you only acknowledged the one person that didn't offer help.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My go-to at home lunch is a turkey sandwich with cheese, and a serving of chips/pretzels/etc.

Comes to between 420 and 490 calories, depending on how many slices of cheese and/or what kind of chips/pretzels.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Most of my regular meals are around 400-600 calories, many would probably fit your calorie goals.

Usually a meat, like a chicken breast, small steak, pork chop, etc - with a starch, rice, pasta, potato, etc - and a couple of veg. Obviously YMMV depending on the arrangements, but it isn't often over 600 calories.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Losingweightforgood2019 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    a0106bxqdyhx.jpg

I make a cauliflower baked mac and cheese. Taste to me like the real deal. I make it at every BBQ!