All around workout shoes

rbpm14
rbpm14 Posts: 39 Member
Need some advice, what are the best men’s shoes for all types of workouts - lifting, running, etc. so I don’t have to have multiple pairs of shoes?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Well, they're not the same sort of activity, so the shoe requirements aren't the same. A lot of people like minimalist running shoes for some of their strength training, but I don't even lift, so I can't recall specifics. Not everyone wants to run in minimal shoes. Not every runner will do well in the same running shoes.

If you like minimalist shoes, you could check out Xero, Merrell, and Topo.

I suspect you're going to want more than one pair of shoes.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I use cross trainers for most activities except running. For running, I feel having a dedicated pair of running shoes that have been fitted properly is important for me in an effort to prevent injury.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    I really like Nike Prestos, they're very comfortable and breathable.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    There isn't one shoe that is best for just workouts or just running not alone for every male.

I literally use three different shoes to train in because of my goal for power lifting. I might hazard you have a different goal and training that you might prefer a different type of shoe more specific to your goals.

I would certainly get a running shoe for running. I would never use running shoes to lift weights unless I forgot my gear and had no choice.
  • beckyplotnick555
    beckyplotnick555 Posts: 2 Member
    Go to a reputable shoe store, get fitted properly, and talk to the experts - tell them exactly what you've stated here, what you need the shoes for. Everyone has different feet - shoes that may work well for someone else may not work well for you. Try a LOT of shoes on. Best of luck to you!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    With my starting weight of 170 kg (375 pounds) I was advised to buy shoes which give my feet / joints / body plenty of support. So I ended up with shoes which are suitable for hills or low mountains and can be adjusted to give my ankles more support when needed. They also have good quality soles. I am using them over one year now (walk every second day or so, lost 33 kg, 70 pounds to date), are super comfortable, still give the same support and amazingly the soles have barely been worn. Leather top, so they breath. Their brand has a big "N" (Norton?) However I have recently noticed that my feet have shrunk a little bit (due to weight loss?) and I just wear some thicker socks. It is worth your while to shop around and find a pair which really fits.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    With my starting weight of 170 kg (375 pounds) I was advised to buy shoes which give my feet / joints / body plenty of support. So I ended up with shoes which are suitable for hills or low mountains and can be adjusted to give my ankles more support when needed. They also have good quality soles. I am using them over one year now (walk every second day or so, lost 33 kg, 70 pounds to date), are super comfortable, still give the same support and amazingly the soles have barely been worn. Leather top, so they breath. Their brand has a big "N" (Norton?) However I have recently noticed that my feet have shrunk a little bit (due to weight loss?) and I just wear some thicker socks. It is worth your while to shop around and find a pair which really fits.

Probably New Balance
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I run and weightlift, I use brooks GTS adrenaline 18s
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Running and lifting need two different types of shoes. Lifting will compress the cushioning in your running shoes and they will possibly feel too squishy and unstable while lifting. I wear old "dead" running shoes for lifting, so don't always need to buy multiple pairs at once.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Don't use the same shoes for running and lifting.

Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for proper running shoes.
  • SuperSetsRound2
    SuperSetsRound2 Posts: 19 Member
    Shoes really depend on what your doing in the gym...if your goal is strength training and lifting heavy the CrossFit style shoes are good, if you are trying to work towards power lifting then 2 pair of shoes will be helpful. CrossFit/minimalist and Olympic lifting shoes (like adidas makes) bring them both and use the Oly lifting shoes for DL’s, squats and leg press etc. I did this for years and then my gym life changed (tore my ACL outside of the gym) and I switched to a minimalist running shoe, adidas alpha bounce. If I am going to lift heavier now I just take my shoes off. Some really great advice in the thread. you have a ton of great options :)
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    Skechers ? ...and super comfortable.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    If you find shoes that work well for hiking, swimming, cycling, and as ski boots, I want a pair.