Eating better

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm 53 and dont eat enough fruits and veggies. Does anyone have some simple recipes. I need to lose 50 pounds and the time is now!!!
Thanks
😊

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    An easy way to get more fruit and veg is just to add them into things you already eat. For example, having cereal or oats? Add a banana or some blueberries. Having scrambled eggs? Add mushrooms or tomatoes.

You could also start by adding just one vegetable each week and making a few different recipes to see how you like it. You could also add just one fruit a day to snack time, like grapes or an apple.

While I personally think fruit and veg are amazing, a calorie deficit is required for fat loss. A good step is to start weighing and logging your foods. A perfect diet is not required.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Try getting some fruits and veg from a farmer's market or produce stand if you can, they're extra tasty! Add fresh herbs to salads, it really boosts the flavor. I just had a big salad and added basil and parsley from plants I bought and the price is about the same for a plant as it is for a packet of fresh herbs. Try balsamic vinegar with strawberries. Roast veggies tossed with some olive oil and your favorite seasonin, they're extra good roasted. Good luck!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    All the Summer fruit and veggies are in now; enjoy in a smoothie or by themselves. Take bananas and apples along with you, no work. Cut up veggies/fruits night before so easy for you to grab.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Roasted or sauteed Brussels sprouts with a little sausage or crumbled bacon. Olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper. Heaven!

Buy white or yellow onions that are very flat (not round) because they are the sweetest. Chop and saute in olive oil and salt until the onions are caramelized. They are an excellent accompaniment to any meat. I also like to mix it up by adding red bell pepper and/or yellow squash. Even radishes! Put the veggies over rice with your fav meat in a bowl for an easy meal.

Fresh green beans. Add a little water and cover until water gone then add a little olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and saute.

Saute baby spinach for a little color with a punch!

Asparagus is crazy low calorie and so easy to prepare.

Buy fresh and experiment. Try veggies you haven't before. Roasting and sauteing are always good choices. Fresh herbs are the best, too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It’s great you want to eat more nutrient dense foods but one point to make is that the weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit, not from eating more fruits and vegetables.

Are you logging the food you eat diligently? Are you using a food scale for accuracy?

That said - one of my favorite ways to prepare veggies is to grill them in summer months - asparagus, squash, zucchini, red peppers... I drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and then serve with whatever grilled protein we are having that evening (chicken, pork tenderloin, salmon, etc). I make extra of everything and use it to throw in a quick bag of instant rice or toss in with some pasta for easy leftover lunches.