Prediabetic, Doing Low Carb - Need Macro Help

Looking for advice for where to start my macros for a low carb diet, but not a Keto diet. Everything I read is for Keto at Carb 5%, Fat 70%, Protein 25%. Please let me know if you follow a low carb diet and what macros have worked for you.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Low carb is considered between 100gr and 150gr. Go in and reset your %s si they come out in that area for carbs and the rest by preference keeping in mind protein is important for muscle building/maintaining.
  • bgocala
    bgocala Posts: 4 Member
    I follow a diabetic diet and my carbs are set at 150 grams/day.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    I reversed the progression of prediabetes just by losing extra weight (50lbs), while still continuing to eat a high carb, very 'typical' American diet. I've been maintaining fasting glucose numbers in the high 80s/low 90s for about 6 years now, which corresponds with my weight loss maintenance.

I am trying a lower carb way of eating now though, mostly because I'm bored and wanted to try something new :) I've been at it for about a month and I've been aiming for 100g of carbs or less a day and my macros split is %C20, P25, F55, though I pay more attention to carbs than fat and protein.

This has been working really well for me, though I have noticed over the past few days that I'm naturally starting to lower my carb intake and up my fat and protein. So today for example I'm at around 50g net carbs. Never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing, but I'm really enjoying a lower carb style of eating!

Also, I just got blood work done/results yesterday-fasting glucose was an 80, the lowest number I have on record :)
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I walk 5 miles a day and keep my net carbs between 50 and 100g and am still in ketosis - so depending on your exercise levels, you may have some more flexibility in the range you go for. I track carbs and let the cards fall where they may with protein and fat, depending on what I fancy. I tend to prefer fat as I find it keeps the rumbles away.

HFLC works for me, especially with lots of walking - its not the same for everyone though and they will need to find whatever macro mix works for them.

In Feb, my markers were flirting with the criteria for T2 - all back in the safe zone now apart from weight which is well down the right track.

Good luck OP ! And keep your low carb veggie intake as high as you can - cauliflower is your friend !
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Looking for advice for where to start my macros for a low carb diet, but not a Keto diet. Everything I read is for Keto at Carb 5%, Fat 70%, Protein 25%. Please let me know if you follow a low carb diet and what macros have worked for you.

If you are intending to try to treat/reverse/manage your pre-diabetes, you should ask your doctor or a dietician that specializes in diabetes/pre-diabetes for advice on how many carbs you should be eating and/or whether that's even the most productive thing for you to focus on (as supposed to weight loss, if you're overweight, and getting more exercise).
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I reversed the progression of prediabetes just by losing extra weight (50lbs), while still continuing to eat a high carb, very 'typical' American diet. I've been maintaining fasting glucose numbers in the high 80s/low 90s for about 6 years now, which corresponds with my weight loss maintenance.

I am trying a lower carb way of eating now though, mostly because I'm bored and wanted to try something new :) I've been at it for about a month and I've been aiming for 100g of carbs or less a day and my macros split is %C20, P25, F55, though I pay more attention to carbs than fat and protein.

This has been working really well for me, though I have noticed over the past few days that I'm naturally starting to lower my carb intake and up my fat and protein. So today for example I'm at around 50g net carbs. Never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing, but I'm really enjoying a lower carb style of eating!

Also, I just got blood work done/results yesterday-fasting glucose was an 80, the lowest number I have on record :)

Forgot to say well done on the fasting BG !
  • Amandisue83
    Amandisue83 Posts: 2 Member
    If you’d like to check your macros for your body type you can go to www.LLFYM.com then add your numbers to your macros here .... they will send you an email with your breakdown free of charge .
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    I did 5, 20, 75. Yours is close. I'm not sure if it will make any significant difference in changing that 5% around. I wanted my protein as low as possible for fear of gluconeogenesis. Eating the right foods and these macros will fall into place for you.