What’s your favorite high-volume crunchy salty snack

I’m a volume eater with a huge craving for something salty and crunchy. I would love to eat a whole bag of ruffles or pretzels right now. What’s your favorite low-ish calorie for its volume salty crunchy snack? If I eat any more popcorn I may turn into a corn stalk.

Air-puffed chips leave me disappointed.

I like roasted (burnt, really) kale as a vehicle for oil and salt, but don’t have any kale right now. I’ll roast some chickpeas which should help, but I’d love more ideas.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What about cut up veggies (peppers, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc) with low calorie dressing/dip?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    You can make a fat free facsimile of potato chips. Slice a potato very thinly with a mandolin or food processor. Season. I like vinegar flavored salt. Line a large plate that fits in the microwave with either silicon baking paper or re-usable silicon mesh. Lay out potato slices in a single layer. Zap on full power 6 minutes. Remove any that have turned golden brown. Continue to zap the stragglers at 1 minute intervals, being careful because the margin of error between golden brown and burnt is narrow. These continue to harden as they cool down.

Popcorn. I put a sprinkle of soy and tabasco and because you use so little you don't get sogginess. If you like funk, I sometimes use Red Boat fish sauce.

Crunchy veg like cucumber or celery in a low fat dip. Low fat ranch made with 0% yoghurt mixed with ranch powder. I also like this Thai sauce for seafood which is 20 kcal a tablespoon and makes raw veg taste amazing. If you google Thai seafood sauce, you will get recipes for homemade versions

https://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/maesri-seafood-dipping-sauce-12709-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw34-7v9Uq6qi8AIcDV-0JWxFuPbJXI5mZ-FYEreIYdlOkZN3_qx2fsiEaAg64EALw_wcB
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Pickles are terrific. Look for "Oh Snap!" in your grocery refrigerated section for sliced pickles with very little brine (easy to eat on the go).
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What about cut up veggies (peppers, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc) with low calorie dressing/dip?

I do need to buy more veggies to cut up and eat raw. They satisfy my “must eat all the things” craving, though the dip doesn’t satisfy my salt craving. Ooh, unless I can make a version of the classic 80’s sour cream and powdered onion dip.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Pickles give me that quick salty fix. I also enjoy sliced peppers, cucumbers, or carrots dipped in a greek yogurt/ranch powder combination. The ranch gives it a nice salty taste.
  • HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    Pork rinds are amazing
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    I roast peanuts in the oven and keep it handy. Roasted unsalted peanuts are yummy and provides protein. Like to cut down on salt as I have hypertension. So this works for me good. When I really crave for salty/spicy, I eat cottage cheese mixed with salsa or cabbage/cucumber pickle or homemade croutons.
  • egbert2016
    egbert2016 Posts: 37 Member
    If you like cucumbers, try sliced cucumbers sprinkled with salt and lemon juice. Kinda like a pickle... but different.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Last night I ate sun dried tomato wheat thins. Crunchy and salty.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I love having thinly sliced radishes or carrots. Really nice crunch and can eat several for minimal calories. I have cucumber sometimes too - lately regular ones are so seedy so there's an extra prep step. Getting English cucumbers can solve that problem.

Another fix besides pickles for salty snack - banana pepper slices. I also love spicy pickled cauliflower.