I need help !

Options
Over past 6 weeks or so I have been feeling ill, coughing, wheezing and so tired, also not been able to stop eating, bread, pasta cakes and general crap, so of course I have put on tons of weight. Had blood test that shows I have very high lymphocytes. I live in France and it's not easy to talk to my doctor and I have checked Google but I wondered if any of you if my blood test could be a cause of this over eating. Thank you in advance xx

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Why is it not easy to talk to the doctor? Is it the language or something else?

If it's the language, look for a doctor who speaks English or check if there are intercultural interpreters available who can translate. Some hospitals have interpreters or bilingual staff members who can help.

Generally, high lymphocytes are an indication of an illness (e.g. viral infection) or other inflammatory illnesses. Exactly what caused the high reading needs to be determined by the doctor (as the possibilities reach from a simple viral infect to certain auto-immune illnesses.) We as laymen (and women) cannot help you with that.

Generally, when I'm ill, I tend to eat and then some. I feel like a bottomless pit.

Good luck and good health :smile:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The overeating could be a result of being tired. When I am extremely tired I have a harder time making wise food choices. Plus those things you mentioned are for many of us comfort foods. Thus we turn to them when we are not well.

As far as high lymphocytes count I could find nothing that would indicate that in itself causes extreme hunger nor cravings for carbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,990 Member
    Options
    Wheat can be inflammatory. Inflammation increases lymphocytes I believe. Also, anecdotally, if I eat a lot of bread/pasta/cakes, I want more bread/pasta/cakes. Wheat is something that causes me to eat uncontrollably in and of itself.

May all be related, may not be.

Try cutting back on the wheat products.

Lots of people are gluten sensitive or intolerant.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you need to figure out how to talk to your doctor about this. You shouldn't be outsourcing a medical diagnosis to the internet, especially if it involves coughing and wheezing or other potential lung issues.

As far as the blood test goes I don't see how drawing blood could cause those symptoms. Really, talk to your doctor!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell, which are part of your immune system. Elevated lymphocytes indicate your body if fighting something, it could be anything from a cold to cancer. Since you say you have a persistent coughing and weezing it is probably related to those symptoms. It could be related to diet but I don't think so. If that were the case I think it would be much more likely you were seeing GI related symptoms, not respiratory problems. If it were me I would focus on getting to the doctor and figuring out what is causing the breathing issues and elevated lymphocytes. It never hurts to shape up your diet in the meantime, but I doubt that is the real cause of your issues.