Motivate me!

Options
Hi y’all! I am beginning my healthy journey yet again. I am 30 lbs over my ideal weight and I am constantly struggling with maintaining my motivation. What often happens is I work out & diet for two weeks, see no progress, and start saying “screw it.” Do you have any tips to maintain my motivation? What are ways you all stay motivated?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I would say that no one can motivate me. It's an inside job.

My motivation is health and a weight that suits me. Everything I do as far as food and exercise is to support those two things.

One day, one decision at a time. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back but the over-all trajectory is in the right direction. I don't "give up" if I have a day or a week that isn't on the plan, I just get back to it.

If I log food it's a win. If I step on the body weight scale and record my weight it's a win. It's the only thing that works, so I do it.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. Trust the process. Trust the process.

It's a slow process and it can be difficult at times, but don't look at it as a temporary "diet" as much as a change in lifestyle. That's what did it for me. I just accepted that I'm the kind of person who needs to stay of top of my calorie intake and it's part of my life now.

If the scale isn't moving, give it 4-6 weeks and reassess. If you're finding the changes you've made difficult after two weeks, they're probably not sustainable in the long term. Be patient and stick with changes you think you can make without burning out.