Holy cow I am SO tired!!

Options
Hi everyone! I don't know if this is just me or what, but I could reallllllly use any suggestions you could give....I am having major issues with being majorly tired around 4pm. I ended up dozing off for about 20 minutes today, but that messes up my bedtime. I try to get to bed around 9-930, but sometimes it is more like 10pm and I get up at 4:45am. I have given up caffeine, which was my old stand by, that and a hit of sugar - got me through to bedtime. But now, I am DRAGGGGGGGING!! Which isn't good when I have to chase my 8 yr old around to dance classes, girl scout meetings and homework...

Replies

• lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    four words- 5 hour energy shots :)

When i get feeling like that i drink one of those and i feel so much better
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How much are you exercising? I have roughly the same schedule as you as far as times I am up is concerned (although I don't have a child). I've noticed that when I exercise less often, that is usually when I feel the most exhausted. Not in all cases, but most. I find that when I work out more consistently I tend to feel more energized. Granted, that may not be the case for everyone, but it works for me. I don't drink hardly any caffeine with the exception of the occasional green tea and even rarer pop. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but just something to consider! :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    well .. when I feel exhausted/sleepy/tired and can't hold my eyes open, I take a hint & take a lil nap. However, if you don't want to do that or feel that you shouldn't, try some jumping jacks - run in place - anything to get your heart rate up and that should wake you up. Drink a big glass of water - snack on some cheese or something with protein
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You may want to get your blood tested for low iron, which causes anemia. That exhausts you.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing!
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    You may want to get your blood tested for low iron, which causes anemia. That exhausts you.

I was about to say the same thing. I was going through this about a year ago and had some blood work done...major low iron. Spinach has become my best friend LOL
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How much are you exercising? I have roughly the same schedule as you as far as times I am up is concerned (although I don't have a child). I've noticed that when I exercise less often, that is usually when I feel the most exhausted. Not in all cases, but most. I find that when I work out more consistently I tend to feel more energized. Granted, that may not be the case for everyone, but it works for me. I don't drink hardly any caffeine with the exception of the occasional green tea and even rarer pop. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but just something to consider! :)
    I exercise every day well almost everyday. Could I be exercising too much?
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Over the summer, (I'm a teacher - just back to work) I was doing great - working out about an hr a day and was not tired at the 4pm hr - but I was sleeping in later also! Since I've gone back to work and my early bird schedule, I've been trying to ride my exercise bike for at least 15 mins every morning, and then something in the evening, but at 4-something just after I get home I am trying so hard to stay awake....makes making dinner impossible. If I exercise later, I feel awake, but I need to figure something out for the 4pm time. That is the beginning of my evening running around and I can't afford to be tired - but in the past I would drink soda or coffee with cream and sugar....NOTHING good for me. I've been drinking water, but the 8 cups is hard (I have a bladder condition and I find when I do drink 8 cups, I spend ALL DAY in the bathroom - can't do that at work!)

I saw suggestions about getting blood work done...the last time I had blood work done I was okay ~ but my physician was a complete jerk ~ when I asked if there could be any reason why I am so tired and I am having a hard time losing weight he told me to get up off my butt and do something and I am tired because I am fat. JERK!!!
  • vicki915
    vicki915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That Dr. was a JERK! I hope you found a new one, lol. Are you really against a 4pm cup of tea or coffee? Some days I just have to have a little boost or I do the same thing, nap... then that screws up the rest of my night. Other days I'm ok, it's weird, but good luck. Let me know what works for ya :drinker:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think you should work toward getting 8 hours of sleep. I don't know how you'd accomplish that but look at your schedule and make it work.

And WOW! Getting up at 4:45am, LOL. <<<
    that'd be the first thing I'd look to change.

(I'm also guessing you had a physical and know your health is fine...sorry I only read the OP. If you didn't have a physical, go get one!).
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you should work toward getting 8 hours of sleep. I don't know how you'd accomplish that but look at your schedule and make it work.

And WOW! Getting up at 4:45am, LOL. <<<
    that'd be the first thing I'd look to change.

(I'm also guessing you had a physical and know your health is fine...sorry I only read the OP. If you didn't have a physical, go get one!).

Well, I can't change the 4:45am....and I can't change the running and racing....but the caffeine keeps me up at night, so I think I am going to try and exercise as soon as I get home ~ even if it is just a 10 hop on the exercise bike. I am not sure what else to do. Thanks for all of your suggestions!!