Best time to eat a chocolate/sweet treat

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    For me personally I find I do better if I eat sweets after I’ve already had a meal. If I’m actually hungry I end up binging on more than I had planned. If I’m already satisfied from the meal I am more able to stick to my planned portion size.

Ditto, and for me it's better to do this after dinner, rather than lunch.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I sometimes eat a couple, but they fit in my goals. For example, my afternoon/pre workout snack was a frozen banana, frozen cherries, chocolate whey protein powder, oat milk, and a few walnut pieces on top for crunch. It was like ice cream but also 2 servings of fruit and like 20g of protein. Then just now I had an aero chocolate mousse for 93 calories that was a nice sweet treat to the end of the day.

It sounds like it's psychological so maybe see if you can re-train your mind to not consider sweet treats off limits, which means you're mentally restricting. Then if you have something you go into the all or nothing mentality and go wild. I sometimes overindulge in social situations, but I don't tend to binge at home any more because I tell myself I can always have more later if I want because it's allowed.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I did two things to help the sweet binge.

1. I set a time limit for dessert. I could not eat chocolate until dessert-o-clock, which was at 8:30pm. If I didn't want it at that time (still full from dinner), I didn't have it.

2. I stopped buying larger desserts or things that could go stale (cake, brownies, etc), and started buying smaller wrapped sweets. Things I could eat for less calories, and that were already portioned out, instead of having to cut a slice.
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks again all.
    Staticsplint...your message really hit home to me. Because I've been allowing myself almost daily treats, I do feel a lot more calmer and in control. Makes total sense I'd binge if I've previously deprived myself as much as possible from having treats.