late night snack

Options
okay so, Im up with a newborn till 4 or 5am each day and I'm hungry but I need to be able to sleep if she does, so I don't want a protein shake or anything.... but I know its not good to eat solid foods this late. any help?

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Is it hunger, or will a drink suffice? I'm aware that if I have a large cup of tea for instance, that most of the time I'm a lot less hungry. Especially if you're wanting to sleep a nice herbal tea may soothe & calm you and Lana at the same time :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think with a newborn baby you are going to be doing it tough enough already, so don't make it any harder by giving yourself rules about when you have to eat, most of those rules are complete myths anyway!
    I'd suggest plan out your day with a number of snacks and make sure you have something left for late night/early morning.
    Make it anything that you enjoy and that is easy to eat one handed while you are feeding or cuddling your little one.
    Almonds, muesli bar, crackers, celery or carrot sticks, chopped up fruit, hot chocolate, smoothie (make it the night before), grilled chicken or left over meat, yoghurt... whatever you like and what ever fits into your diary for the day!
  • LanasMom84
    Options
    really? I would have to master the art of drinking plain tea~ I'm a 5-TBSP of honey kinda tea drinker....but its worth a shot. I have decaf lipton, is that okay? I hope it doesnt act as a diuretic. lol. thnx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    are you up all night? or are you just napping through out the day and night? Milk or decaff tea. if you are up all night then have solids.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    a spoonful of peanut butter should do the trick !
  • LanasMom84
    Options
    thanks, ruby thats a good way to look at things- no restricted eating times...nice. But I cant very well go banging around in the kitchen this late either, so I should just be better prepared, story of my life lately. But thanks again. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think preparation is the key here, though I guess that is easier said than done! .... make the most of the time when you are in the kitchen, if you are cooking or waiting for something to heat up or the kettle to boil, grab the chance and get a few snacks chopped up or portioned into single serves then you can quietly grab them when you need them.

PS. cute bubba!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    if you eat within your calories i really dont think it matters when you eat.

esp if you are set to sedentary.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    a spoonful of peanut butter should do the trick !

Yep agree go for all natural peanut butter (100% peanuts nothing added) or have some banana! If you are up all night with a bub you need the boost! Dont worry to much about your food at this stage just enjoy being a new mum!!! I personally had a box of chocolates in the cupboard and enjoyed one of those while I was up :) yes its naughty but hey I need the boost, all the breastfeeding and lack of sleep........A piece of choc just seemed to make the time more enjoyable Hehehe but I did only have 1 or 2 nothing overboard!!
    Congatulations on being a mummy and enjoy it all!!!
  • LanasMom84
    Options
    well thank you to everyone who took the time to give a good suggestion. I appreciate it and I will use all the ideas!