strength training and calories

Options
rem1231
rem1231 Posts: 2 Member
So i had both cardio and strength training today (back and biceps) so i added 50 min of treadmill running (700cals) but when adding 7 exercises it didn't add anything to calories burned section, is strength training insignificant to weight loss? i did 28 sets with a 60-90 sec rest time between them

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    To get calories burned added to your day, log exercise > cardio > strength training.
  • Katttie89
    Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You've got to log your strength training in the cardio section
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of the amounts of calories burned that MFP gives you. They're notoriously too high. When I counted exercise calories I only counted 50% of the calories it gave me.

• Katttie89
    Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Be mindful of the amounts of calories burned that MFP gives you. They're notoriously too high. When I counted exercise calories I only counted 50% of the calories it gave me.

I second this, I have found mfp can sometimes way over estimate the calories burned. But tbh I don't log my excersie on here anymore just my food
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The database is actually pretty decent - it's the problem with long low-level calorie burn workouts being ADDED to an already accounted for calorie burn of your BMR x activity level.
    When it should be just whatever was extra. Which could be 50% for long low burn workouts. But it could be a whole lot more for something short and high burn.

Since high calorie burn is almost by necessity short - don't have to worry about those. Your food logging is just as inaccurate or more.

Weights in database will appear very low compared to cardio, and that is true. But probably very short too for 28 sets. If minimum rests between sets, like 1 min or less - that's circuit training in database.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn many calories unless you really move between sets with minimal rest. In this case, you will elevate your HR. If not, you really can't add much in the way of calorie burn.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I find the strength training cardio entry pretty accurate for me.
  • Nanoosh92
    Nanoosh92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cardio exercise burn calories only during the workout time. Although strength training doesn't burn much at the moment of the workout but it an essential part of any weight loss program. Its helps you build muscles that later makes your cardio workouts more efficient and increases your ability to workout for longer periods. Secondly, muscles burn alot of calories at rest increasing your metabolism and in turn, increasing your metabolic rate and helping you lose more weight.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nanoosh92 wrote: »
    Cardio exercise burn calories only during the workout time. Although strength training doesn't burn much at the moment of the workout but it an essential part of any weight loss program. Its helps you build muscles that later makes your cardio workouts more efficient and increases your ability to workout for longer periods. Secondly, muscles burn alot of calories at rest increasing your metabolism and in turn, increasing your metabolic rate and helping you lose more weight.

Not nearly as much as you may think. For purely burning calories, nothing beats cardio. But, and this is key, you don't exercise to lose weight. Exercise for health and that includes both straighten training and cardio. Get your diet in order for weight loss.

https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2011-may-16-la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516-story.html
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

I find the app’s calorie counts too high also. I use a cybex arc trainer (eliptical) for 40 mins and it measures 450 calories +/- This app gives credit for 550 calories for the same thing. I use the machine’s actual count.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @Nanoosh92

Cardio exercise burn calories only during the workout time. Not true, there is an EPOC effect from cardio too (especially high intensity cardio), not as high a percentage as strength training but a smaller percentage of a potentially bigger exercise burn is just as significant. Or in reality insignificant and not worth factoring in.

Although strength training doesn't burn much at the moment of the workout but it an essential part of any weight loss program. Valuable, not essential.

Its helps you build muscles that later makes your cardio workouts more efficient and increases your ability to workout for longer periods. Agreed (sort of...).

Secondly, muscles burn a lot of calories at rest Only because people have a lot of muscle tissue overall, each pound of muscle is actually a low calorie burner. About 6cals per pound per day at rest. People losing weight won't gain much if any muscle at all and that's offset by the effects of losing fat which is also metabolically active.

increasing your metabolism and in turn, increasing your metabolic rate and helping you lose more weight. No not really. Most people losing weight will have a lower metabolism, smaller bodies burn less energy to maintain themselves. But if those smaller people become more active and do more exercise including cardio they can end up with a higher calorie allowance.