Keto Flu...Help! Advice?

Today is my third full day on the Atkins 20, and prior to this evening the only side effect I have had was lacking sleep and an occasional headache. Tonight I am feeling nauseous as ever, and I dread it is the above mentioned keto flu. I will preface this by saying I am close to 400 pounds and have stayed under 12 g of carbohydrates all three days to this point. I am drinking water like it is going out of style, in fact no less than 10 cups per day. Any advice here as this is the one symptom I did not want to have, the nausea and/or vomiting. I know people say up your salt, but My sodium intake is plenty high with eating bacon, hot dogs, pickles, mustard, and summer sausage.

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    The amount of sodium in one hot dog throws of my whole system so I can’t imagine all the sodium in that food log. Try grilled, oven baked chicken, pork, fish, turkey.

My suggestion is eat balanced and within your calories. Carbs are not your enemy.
    Get outside, get in the gym...walk...sweat...sweat...sweat. Set attainable goals. Didn’t come on overnight, won’t get off overnight but it will fly off if you align your system properly. I lost 154lbs in ten months by mostly clean eating, don’t drink calories, didn’t cut carbs, didn’t take pills, no surgery...just gym, water, healthy food, sleep.

Friend me if you’d like or have any questions.

Drink a lot of water and pass on everything else. I’d hit that water pretty hard with the sodium you had today.

Biggest thing...mindset! Own your dream.
  • apple852hk
    apple852hk Posts: 210 Member
    I'm not sure this is under the umbrella of keto flu - but is anyone having starting on keto affecting their sleep?

It's unusual for me to sleep only 7hours. But I wake up and feel tired but can't drift back to sleep. Unusually I sleep lots.

The science says "Insomnia caused by the keto diet is attributed to low levels of serotonin and melatonin, as well as higher than normal energy levels."

But I'm not sure what I have is considered insomnia. I can sleep well at night but during the day feel sleepy but when I try and nap I can't fall asleep.

Anyone have any idea if unable to nap is keto flu?
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    On about the second and third nights of starting on this low-carb diet, both my wife and myself had a very hard time of getting a good night of sleep. I was sleeping for about an hour and then would wake up and continue that cycle of getting about an hour of sleep at a time. My naps were not much better as I would fall asleep for about a half hour and then not be able to get back to sleep. I am eight days and now in my sleep at night has improved quite a bit but is definitely not where it was prior to starting this diet
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    On about the second and third nights of starting on this low-carb diet, both my wife and myself had a very hard time of getting a good night of sleep. I was sleeping for about an hour and then would wake up and continue that cycle of getting about an hour of sleep at a time. My naps were not much better as I would fall asleep for about a half hour and then not be able to get back to sleep. I am eight days and now in my sleep at night has improved quite a bit but is definitely not where it was prior to starting this diet

Go see my thread in food and nutrition titled "for people who know nothing about Keto" hopefully it helps