Went over calories

Options
Went over my intake for the day. Feeling depressed struggling not to go way over.

Replies

• jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself for going over, first of all! You're human, it happens. But the worst thing you can do is dwell on it and let it affect your mentality and derail you. Focus on what you can do now, not what you can't change! :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Over by how much? If it's less than 1000 calories over (unless you are at 1200 calories) and you set your goal to 2lbs/week, then you are still in a calorie deficit. Even if you were more than that over, it's a minor blip in the radar in the long-term scheme of things. Learning to let go of the days I went over became an essential part of not letting it derail me. Log it, forgive yourself, and just start again, right now (not tomorrow). I also found it helpful to keep track of contributing factors. Has your protein or fat intake been low today? TOM? Are you stressed about something? Are you trying to be too strict (either calories or "diet" foods)? Anything else going on that could contribute? Learn from these things, and keep notes to see if there are patterns.
  • Chandra650
    Chandra650 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation I have a tendency to use food as an emotional crutch. I’m trying to break the habit so I’m a little lost I guess
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    At least you know you went over!
    That's better than not knowing. Now you can try to improve tomorrow.

Keep your food diary going no matter what. The process is more important than the numbers.

It’s not possible to count calories for long without making mistakes. Lots of ways to make mistakes. Inadequate plans, fatigue, loss of concentration at critical times, misread menus and NI, even math mistakes.

Logging mistakes feels rotten. But it’s important. The good news is persistence will win in the end.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you don’t mind answering a few questions it will help frame the situation better and give us (and you) some perspective.

How much over?
    What is your calorie goal?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    Are you typically at or under your goal?
    Have you ever looked at the weekly tracker?
    How long have you been logging?
    Is your weight loss following the chosen rate of loss?
    Have you heavily restricted certain foods believing that’s necessary for weight loss?
    Was there any situational trigger for your overindulgence?
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Log everything, ideally before or just after you eat it today. This helped me so much when I was at the beginning of a binge. I saw the numbers in there and it slowed my "momentum."

Don't beat yourself up. You can only fail if you stop trying. Hang in there! Everyone effs up during this process and plenty of people on MFP have been successful in the long term.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    It happens and really, weight loss is a long game so it's to be EXPECTED to have some days over. we can't be perfect every day, nor should we!

the key is to not let one bad day bring us down so much we quit. Embrace the disappointment and then move on. If you need help talking it out there are many options for that as well.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Chandra650 wrote: »
    Went over my intake for the day. Feeling depressed struggling not to go way over.

Not the end of the world, lower your deficit for the rest of the week , to make up for it.
    Exercise a bit more to make up for it.