Fatty liver

Options
Chameleon80
Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I’ve recently been diagnosed with NAFLD due to hemochromatosis,and honestly being a chocolate junky.I have a lot of questions in regards to whether I should go keto or Mediterranean or low fat for healing the liver.
As well if there is a good macro guideline for it as well.
Thank you

Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have fatty liver, though getting any information from my doctors about it is next to impossible. Definitely check with yours before you attempt any diet. I've personally had great success with keto, losing almost 50 pounds since January 1st and cutting my triglycerides in half. I haven't had an ultrasound but I can only surmise that loss of body fat = loss of liver fat.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    What I'll say, as a post-bariatric patient, they utilize an adjusted ketogenic-type diet to reduce the size of the liver aka eliminate liver fat. It's high protein, moderate fats, lower carbs. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT recommending you adopt a bariatric diet, not the post-op style anyway. A pre-op bariatric diet would be potentially beneficial, but you have to discuss it with a healthcare provider and make sure your vitamins are okay.

Something like macros, that would depend on a variety of things, like age, gender, weight, loss goals, etc etc, so it's a total shot in the dark to give a recommendation in that respect. Especially with the added medical condition, you may not be able to utilize many suggestions I would give to meet any goals I would give.

If you eat a significant amount of chocolate, you could make a lot of progress by limiting that. I am not generally the person to recommend cutting out foods for weight loss purposes, but if you think that your eating it is directly causing illness, then it's kind of a no-brainer to say, probably should put that to the side. Eliminating it until you are in a better position of control is likely going to be a good idea right now, if you want to get rid of liver fat.
  • Skinimalink
    Skinimalink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with NASH years ago and have had terrible liver function ever since. I ate keto and counted calories for a few months and lost 3 stone, and my liver function was perfect. I ate carbs for a while, put 2 stone back on and my liver became worse than it had ever been. Now I'm back on keto and counting calories again, it seems to be the key for me.
  • Chameleon80
    Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!
    Since my diagnosis I’ve been cutting my sugar down to 45mg a day,and the sugars are from whole foods.The more I read the more I see keto is a great starting point for a healthy liver.I have been lowering my carbs each day,and although I feel a bit dizzy from lack of sugar,I am hopeful to just feel better long term.I appreciate all of your feedback and wish each of you health and happiness🤗
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    When I was a good 70 pounds overweight, my liver enzymes were elevated, so I was referred to have an ultrasound and then a liver biopsy. Holy he.ll does a liver biopsy hurt. Fatty liver - yeah, I knew why. Losing most of the weight brought my liver back to normal (as well as helping my gall bladder not hurt anymore). I don't eat anything close to resembling Keto. I eat 55-60% carbs, 15% fat, and 25-30% protein.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to refer you to a dietitian who can give you dietary guidance. I would not rely on internet advice for this.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hemochromatosis should not cause fatty liver. That is not a common side effect or relation. Livery damage in hemochromatosis causes iron deposits in the liver leading to organ failure and elevated liver enzymes. You have a very good chance of reversing the NAFL via weight loss and diet.

The cause of non alcoholic fatty liver disease isn't well known, but currently it is thought to be due to obesity and/or type 2 diabetes. It is treated and reversed with weight loss and exercise.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hemochromatosis is different from having fatty liver disease because of obesity, and I would seek a referral to a dietician. Shouldn’t you be limiting iron intake?

Yep. If the person has both that's potentially quite serious and diet should not be based on internet advice. Keto is often high red meat and leafy greens, and that could be a dangerous diet for someone with hemochromatosis in some cases. And keto for fatty liver is at least controversial as it is -- dr and referral to a dietitian!

(My mother died as a result of liver failure caused by damage from hemochromatosis that was caught too late. This is not something to mess around with.)