Can you follow a muscle building program while training martial arts

Options
jabari18
jabari18 Posts: 12 Member
Ok so I train Taekwondo Jujitsu and Muy Thai a total of 6 days a week (approximately 12-14 hours a week). Plus I have an 8-4 job. Should I realistically be aiming to follow a muscle building program?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Honestly that sounds sufficient. I train Krav Maga, but only 3 to 4 times a week so I lift at least once a week. But with 6 days and 2 plus hours a day, that's a lot. During your training, do they do a lit of body weight exercises? That will work to build strength.
  • jabari18
    Options
    We do some. Not much. My strength feels good between pushups punches and throws. Was also interested in getting some muscle mass in.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yes! I did a 2 day split on 5/3/1 and another 2 days a week training muay thai. I followed that program for maybe 18 months and hit PRs on all lifts. Absolutely helped my striking power.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would train for the health benefits alone.

There is overwhelming evidence that it is better to strength train the not.

Hypertrophy or strength focaused is up to you and your goals. Though a intelligent program will include both in some degree as they both govern each other eventually.
  • jabari18
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    yes! I did a 2 day split on 5/3/1 and another 2 days a week training muay thai. I followed that program for maybe 18 months and hit PRs on all lifts. Absolutely helped my striking power.

What’s a 5/3/1?
  • erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes.

I spent 7 years training and competing in MMA training boxing, muay thai, BJJ, calisthetics and wrestling 3 hours a day every day, running 2 mile wind sprints every day and weightlifting at least 3 times a week for around 30 mins to an hour. You have to make sure you aren't in a calorie deficit, get good nutrition especially calcium and protein, and drink tons of water. Bone density is key to avoiding injuries.