Realizing how big you are..

Options
I realized how big I am, and I suddenly got super depressed. It's so discouraging looking at myself. It's like it all hit me like a ton of weights. Has this happened to you? Advice?

Replies

• pollywogbog
    Options
    I know my weight....just thought that I didn't look like what I weighed. But I saw a photo and it hit me hard. I want to be thin and healthy, but I am having a hard time giving up my fav's. Just taking one day at a time....everyone around me is having gastric bypass....which I secretly would love...but would never have.......Have a great day...and thanks for listening....Paula
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day when my friend was messing about with his camera.
    It's horrible!
    I can see the beginnings of a double chin.
    And i just wanted to cry.

Add me if you want, we can have a chat :)
  • vickstar8707
    Options
    This happened to my friend last night! She thought she was doing so well and saw herself in a photo and she just felt totally depressed.
    All i said to her was to use that feeling you have now as motivation! Remember how you feel now and tell yourself you never want to feel like this again!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I told myself that I was in charge and that this is not something that is going to last forever, this is how I am now and its up to me to change it.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I saw myself in a video taped performance at my school. I hardly recognized myself! I had always been a thin person and suddenly saw this middle aged woman with a big butt and back fat rolls. The important thing is, you've come here to do something about it!
  • annadilynn
    Options
    it took my sons wedding photos to open my eyes....I have been doing this mfp since January of this year and it, I believe has saved me....I am no longer pre-diabetic. I can go up a flight of stairs without losing my breath..I feel better, not sore all the time...you will get there...just stay strong! if ya need friends you can add me...I will always listen...this isnt easy, but its not impossible either... :0) chin up sweetie!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yep. In pictures it really hit me. But that was also the turning point and made me super motivated. Pictures help me keep seeing the changes when Im not really losing sizes in pants but sizes/inches elsewhere.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had started on the healthy path already when I realized that I would end up like my dad but then I really started working on it when I saw a picture from Christmas. I looked huge, I looked like a slightly smaller but girl version of my Dad. My Dad weighed over 500 lbs. I was way less.

But as soon as I saw that. I knew I had to change. I wanted a figure again. I wanted cheek Bones.!
    So i started to work out. Drinking Water. Eating healthy
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yep... I mean, I'd always known I was overweight and unhealthy. Always wanted to lose weight too, but it never actually hit me until recently. Hit like a ton of bricks for sure! I hated myself and was ashamed of my looks... I'd had enough after my husband (who was trying to be supportive) gave me a hug as I was in tears and told me, "Well, then do something about it. Quit screwing around!" That was not quite 2 months ago and I've lost 10 more pounds since then... it was my wake up call.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I go thru it to, even tho Im losing little by little I hate pics of me, and looking in the mirror. It is depressing, sometimes even showering or drying off after is a sad reminder. I am trying to use this to motivate myself and it is hard. Its hard not to be negative or harsh at yourself. I dont think there is any magical way to get over it except for to push yourself and stay committed, which Im hoping I can do! Good luck on your journey.
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In a period of just a few months three of my best friends got married. I felt sooo sexy in the bridesmaid dresses and loved the way I felt. Then the pictures came back. I was twice the size of all the other girls. I looked horrible! I had fat rolls coming out of the dresses. That was very depressing. Then I lost 30 lbs and felt sexy again (and might have even looked it too). Last week, I stepped on the scale and I am only 7 lbs away from being back at the dreaded bridesmaid weight. Depressed again, but I'm doing something about it and this time I will not fail!!!
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You just have to take it as your rock bottom but empower it know that you are going to change from this day forward its a long hard road. You also have to remember to take it slow and one day at a time. you cant expect to change over night and have the weight come off in a blink of an eye. It took you a while to gain it all its going to take you a while to lose it all too! Just always remember that the most important thing is if you slip or fall of the wagon to remember to stand back up dust your self off and keep going!!! You cant give up and you will it bumps in the road you just got to keep pushing.

I myself am in the same boat I have about a 100 pounds to lose still, even more til im at my ideal goal. Feel free to add me if you need support! just keep at it!!!!
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me in my early twenties. it's like i woke up one day and realized how much i weighed (over 200 pounds) and it hit me like a ton of bricks. i felt overwhelmed, depressed, disgusted, etc. i let those feelings motivate me to do something about my weight and i ended up losing 65 pounds. let me tell you that the feelings of sadness and depression don't amount to anything when you compare them with the happiness, pride, and satisfaction you will get from all the little victories you will achieve on your journey to become healthy! try not to dwell too much on the way you feel know, look forward to how you're going to feel the first time you reach one of your mini goals. :-)
  • Jhookism
    Jhookism Posts: 17
    Options
    This happens to me all of the time. I can not stand looking at myself in pictures, I look huge. The only positive is that i use this to motivate me to keep counting calories, making the right choices throughout the day, and to exercise often.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I had started on the healthy path already when I realized that I would end up like my dad but then I really started working on it when I saw a picture from Christmas. I looked huge, I looked like a slightly smaller but girl version of my Dad. My Dad weighed over 500 lbs. I was way less.

But as soon as I saw that. I knew I had to change. I wanted a figure again. I wanted cheek Bones.!
    So i started to work out. Drinking Water. Eating healthy

Had the same type of moment on July 3rd. I took "before" photos (as you can see in my profile pic) even though I had lost 10 pounds before that (because I slacked off and wanted to "begin" again). After I took the pictures, I looked at them and saw the female version of my dad. I love my dad, but I really don't want to end up having the health issues he has because of his weight.... diabetes, heart disease, etc.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel =[ When I realized how big I was I would just sit in the bathtub and cry. I was so miserable and hated myself for letting my body go. But after that, something inside me just snapped. I started working out and eating better and lost some weight. Just by making small changes my confidence has boomed!
  • IAmTheAwesomest
    Options
    Yes.
    Recently, I was adding old pics on photobucket and actually saw my weight, I didn't see me at all I just saw a 270lb blob and of course to make things better my darling hubby said it looked like someone swallowed me (even though he was joking it was still hurtful). :embarassed:
    I live with the fact I was fat everyday of my life, it's permanently made it's mark on my body. It used to bother me a lot but now I've come to terms with the fact, I'm NOT fat anymore (a little heavy yes) and I'm happy now with not just my weight loss but with my life.
    You just have to hold your head high and say,"Yes, I was fat. WAS! Past tense, I am on the road of recovery. I will not let who I was control who I am now because if I do then I'll never be happy. God, my family and my friends all love me and now it's time I start loving myself."
    Sorry, if that was too...lecture-y but that;s what I did. When my "fat girl mentality" starts to kick in, I shove it out. :bigsmile:
  • Mandrey072009
    Mandrey072009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In a way yes... I have always been a bigger girl but i just recently realized that i am quite bigger than usual. One main reason why i think i have gained weight its because my boyfriend eats VERY unhealthy. I have been with him for four years and gradualy started eating some of the same foods as him. I would find myself taking a bite of his brownie, or a sip of his pop. Later, it just became a habbit. I ate unhealthy too. My boyfriend can eat anything he wants and wont gain a pound, i on the other hand do. I have thought about trying to watch what i eat but find it hard to when im around him since he always seems to eat junk food. Fianlly, the other day i decided to make a difference. I heard about this site from a friend and decided to try it out. Soon after i made and account I took pictures of myself with only my undergardments on. I couldnt believe what i saw. I see myself in a mirrow almost everyday, but those pictures made me realize that i have seriously gained weight over the past few years and it all sort of just hit me. It is time to make a difference.
  • roadrunner8383
    roadrunner8383 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I sooooooo know what you are talking about. I didn't realize how big I had got until I saw a picture of myself. I looked pregnant! It was a turning point for me I think.
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    Whenever I feel big, I just cuddle up with my boyfriend. He reminds me that I'm actually pretty tiny in comparison :)