Calling all ex-smokers

Options
Hi
I am from the UK, gave up smoking 12 weeks ago and really struggling, i have never had a huge problem with weight, but have gained around 9lbs, not loads I know, but a lot to me!!! I found MFP just over a week ago and have found it fantastic for making you really aware of what you are eating with the food log, would really like lots of friends for support, particularly those who have given up smoking, please add me!! thank you :-)

Replies

• wilkinsclan07
    Options
    Oh sweety, don't feel bad!! I've heard from a ton of ex-smokers that sometimes you eat a bit more because it keeps you from smoking. It happened to me, too!! :))) But I'm a vocalist and HAD to quit because my voice is all I have, job wise. You can do it!!!
  • DebGaDavey
    Options
    I quit smoking 10.5 yrs ago and have struggled with my weight since, but I guess much better than smoking. Take one day at a time and it can be done! Good luck!
  • csalvi
    csalvi Posts: 3
    Options
    Congrats on the 12 weeks....I quit (again) on June 8th...this time for real. It is the hardest thing to do, but the health benefits outweigh the pain of quitting. Don't worry about the weight gain, you will lose it. Keep up the good work and give a shout when you need the extra support.
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm from UK too (Cheshire). I gave up smoking in 2000 (cold turkey). Since then, I gained more than 3 stone, have gone through menopause and just about everything that being a single parent of three can throw at you. I now feel I am coming out through the other end of the tunnel (which was elongated by becoming the grandmother of a beautiful girl from my teenage-mum daughter). I am a survivor who is now tackling my weight problem, without ever reverting to the ciggies :smile: It can be done and you will find these forum to be of great help.

Good luck!
  • CapriceD
    CapriceD Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker but my uncle was. He walked around with a toothpick for years especially around the house. He needed something in his mouth. Just a thought.

Also I've heard that ex- smokers gain weight when they stop because nicotine is a suppressive.
    Good to be aware of it early. Good luck
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I quit 11 years ago, and gained about 20 lbs. I also just gave up soda, just about 5 months ago, and while I no longer have the cravings for smoking, I still want stupid soda.

Drink water, go for walks. Distract yourself from the craving with doing something else. I'm sure everyone is telling you that - but eventually, the cravings will diminish.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I quit in Jan, and have managed to gain and hold onto 10 pounds ugh. That is why I am here. My Thyroid number also jumped all crazy so not sure which caused it, I just know it isn't hanging around! I have been working out and pretty healthy for 3 years, so that sudden jump of 10 pounds made me soooo mad I thought about smoking again, and decided to do healthy things like this instead! Congrats too all of us for making the right choice!
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i quit smoking 3 months and 1 week or around. well i could tell you exactly as that's what us non smokers do in the beginning lol. I'm going through the exact same as you. i already knew before i quit i had a few pounds to drop so when i quit i didn't actually gain as i kept a watchful eye on my weight but after successfully stopping smoking up until now i thought i'd tackle my weight...

Well done in staying quit, it is still a struggle and temptations or stresses get in the way daily but with strong willpower we can stay stopped! Goodluck and add me if you want xx
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations on quiting!!! I quit almost 6 months ago (wow, can't believe it's been that long), due to health and $$ reasons, by using Welbutrin (sp?). Cold turkey was NOT for me, as my husband can definately tell you, lol. I'm not sure if i gained weight when i quit because at that point, i stopped gettin on the scale. We're all here to help support and motivate!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I quit smoking 10 years ago. I used the patch and it worked wonders. Luckily I didn't gain weight when I quit. I made a conscious decision to go on a diet when I decided to quit so I wouldn't gain weight and it worked. I actually lost at the time. Stick with MFP and you'll do excellent!! Consider the patch though.. It was a life saver for me. I wish you the best of luck. Peace and Love! :flowerforyou:
  • drolla
    drolla Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks everyone for your support....

my biggest problem now is not the cravings, but more the weight, i don't particularly want a cigarette but i certainly do not want to gain anymore weight!! i have had a mad moment where i have thought a cigarette would be better than putting anymore weight on, so far i've managed to stay off them, but i'm not going to be happy until i can get down to what i weighed whilst smoking.... not a good place to be as it seems so hard to lose weight..... grrr
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I quit about 10 years ago. When I did i found myself standing at the fridge a lot.. What I did was I went and bought a few bags of the ready to eat baby carrots. And every time I stood at the fridge i grabbed those. I lost weight and quit smoking cold turkey like that. Good luck :)