Fasting - how to get started

Options
Hey, there seems to be loads of info on intermittent fasting, but I can't seem to find consistent basic info. I've searched the forum but still feel confused.

Has anyone here had success? Which protocol are you using and what sorts of things do you eat?

I can understand what the timings mean (roughly), I'm struggling to find out:

- how do you know how many calories to eat within that window? Is it my normal "diet" calorie amount just in a smaller window, or is the point not to "diet"
- what do you eat during that time? I've seen advice from "anything you want" to "as few carbs and as much protein as possible" and neither seem like healthy advice
- can you mix up protocol? Eg, does anyone do 16/8 but do you still do the 2 days of 500 cals from 5:2, or are they very separate ways of doing it? I'm a bit confused if whether 16/8 is 7 days a week or not

Any general advice about getting started would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @jellybeanmusic what are your goals?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your discipline? Assume 1 is terrible and 10 is awesome.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I think that for many people, it's easiest to start by dumping the PM snacks, so basically, eat nothing after dinner. If you eat dinner at 6pm, go to bed at 10pm, and then wake up at 6am, you've already fasted for 12hrs when you wake up. Then you can go slow and just start to push back the time that you eat your first meal of the day until you hit 16 or 18 hrs or whatever your goal is.

I've never been a big breakfast eater myself. I'm up around 5:30am and if I do eat breakfast, it usually isn't until at least 8:30 because I'm just not hungry. Like today, I've been up since 5:45 (slept in woohoo) and it's 10am and I'm not even hungry yet. I did have a late snack last night which I don't usually do, so my eating window today won't be until 1:30 which I'm perfectly fine with.

As for what to eat within your window, that is totally up to you. I happen to follow a Keto diet, so I'm low carb all the way. I do still count my calories, but more because I tend to under eat (between Keto and IF) and I don't want to fall below the minimum of 1200 calories, though it sometimes happens because I'm just not hungry.

For protocol, I try to stick with 18:6 most days, but some days like today I only made it to 14hrs because I couldn't resist the smell of the bacon LOL I also add in a 24hr fast 1-2 days per week and have a big meal for dinner with dessert, but it certainly isn't necessary to fast for that long if you are just doing it for calorie control.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF since October of 2018. Mostly a lazy IF, I started being more strict with it in April.

Q: how do you know how many calories to eat within that window? Is it my normal "diet" calorie amount just in a smaller window, or is the point not to "diet"
    I maintain CICO during my Fasting window, that said I only eat when I'm hungry while I'm in the window. I've occasionally been under 1200 calories.

Q: what do you eat during that time? I've seen advice from "anything you want" to "as few carbs and as much protein as possible" and neither seem like healthy advice
    I think this depends on the diet outside of IF. If you are on Keto, then do Keto. If low carb, then low carb. I have a friend that breaks her fast with a protein while I just break it with whatever I'm going to have at that meal time. Yesteray that was a tuna sandwich, today it's a hot pocket.

Q: can you mix up protocol? Eg, does anyone do 16/8 but do you still do the 2 days of 500 cals from 5:2, or are they very separate ways of doing it? I'm a bit confused if whether 16/8 is 7 days a week or not
    I do IF 7 days a week. I mostly do 18:6 but if I'm not hungry I'll just push onto 20:4 or even OMAD if I'm feeling it. My longest fast was like 33.5 hours. I just wasn't hungry until the next morning.