Losing motivation

So I’ve been exercising and dieting since November but this last month has been crazy I’ve been traveling and busy go go go and I’m super tired and I’ve lost my motivation. I need to get back on it and remember why I started in the first place. I’ve already gained two pounds back and I’m trying not to beat myself up too bad cause at least it’s only two pounds. What are some ways you’ve stayed on track or pulled yourself out of a slump?

Replies

• mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    It sounds like you have already hit on at least part of the reason for your motivation loss. You are tired. Is there any way you can scale back some of your activities so you can get back to center?
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have been on calorie restriction since Oct 1 of last year. What has helped me is taking 2 planned/intentional diet breaks, one in January and a more recent one in April. Each entailed eating for 2 weeks at maintenance.
  • nevergiveup812mfp
    nevergiveup812mfp Posts: 12 Member
    I am in the same boat for me it is more about the food and I get really tired of going without a treat...so I allow myself breaks... no tracking or weighing on scale and get back to it when I set to. It is just really stressful to go full force for so long. Anyway hope that helps. Sometimes listening to your body is most helpful.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Maybe make a deal with yourself to get back into it. I had to pick two days for lifting. I knew that I couldn't give it any more than that. But I'll be darned if I miss a day. Tell yourself that you're going to get some exercise in on Tuesdays and Fridays, and then just go. It's part of your Tuesday. It's part of your Friday.

Another piece of wisdom I heard on one of these boards is that the quality of my workout isn't dependent upon my motivation. It's interesting how many times I DON'T want to go, but I do, and then have a great workout. I would have missed that workout if I hadn't gone!!

Pick an activity. Pick your days, and give yourself six weeks to stick to your plan. Then go on autopilot. No negotiating, no excuses. When the six weeks is up, you might find yourself with a new routine. Good luck!
  • dhart05
    dhart05 Posts: 19 Member
    mstarks01 wrote: »
    It sounds like you have already hit on at least part of the reason for your motivation loss. You are tired. Is there any way you can scale back some of your activities so you can get back to center?

Unfortunately it’s not really just activities it’s just constantly working, and then roller derby which feels like a chore at times but I do always feel better after a good practice.

• bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Your journey begins anew right now! Sometimes i get stuck in the trap of thinking that if I blew a day or a week then I wait until a "magic day" to start again - i.e. Monday, or the 1st of the month or whatever. The truth is you can get right back to it immediately, with the next choice you make- either to eat or how to spend your time.

Also- there are ways to keep within your calorie goals while getting restaurant food and fast food, if you're strapped for time. Often getting a fast food sandwich without mayo or cheese doesn't rack up as many calories as you'd think. Sure, it's better and more satisfying to eat something else probably, but when in a time crunch it'll do!
  • dhart05
    dhart05 Posts: 19 Member
    I used to get lost in the "motivation" mindset. Stop - and have a reality check. Do you want to continue to lose weight? If the answer is yes - then what behaviors will lead to that success? Don't say, "I'll try harder, or I need to be better..." Define the actions you need to take and then make a choice to DO the things that you need to do. It's not really about motivation. Make the choices that lead to success. Being busy doesn't matter. Being tired doesn't matter. I don't mean to be harsh - I have to tell myself these things occasionally - but it is honest.
    You’re totally right and it’s not harsh it’s truthful like you said. I just have to do what I have to. I know this is what I want. I know it’s gunna be hard. I just have to stop making excuses and do it!