Jiggly fat - what’s happening?

Options
uhill
uhill Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a problem. It might sound gross, but my midsection (belly, hips, sides, boob fat, and thighs) seems a way more jigglier than before. What’s going on? Is that normal, if I’m exercising? It also feels more jellier too.

I’ve been exercising: running (13.1 app), started kickboxing, and doing the spotebi workouts. My diet could be better, but trying my best to eat healthy.

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That has also happened to me, the more weight I lose the "jigglier" my fat becomes. I don't know the scientific reasoning behind this but as far as I am aware this is normal.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    uhill wrote: »
    I have a problem. It might sound gross, but my midsection (belly, hips, sides, boob fat, and thighs) seems a way more jigglier than before. What’s going on? Is that normal, if I’m exercising? It also feels more jellier too.

I’ve been exercising: running (13.1 app), started kickboxing, and doing the spotebi workouts. My diet could be better, but trying my best to eat healthy.

Could be fluid retention from the exercise, particularly if the kickboxing/workouts are quite intense compared to what you were doing before.

• DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maybe fat reduction faster than your skin can “snap back”? The fat could be looser in your skin causing it to be jigglier.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a really good old "squishy fat" thread that goes over all this? I can't remember who authored it.

Yes I tried to find it in the search to link to it but I couldn't so I loosely paraphrased from memory. I think it's a combination of what I said and what @AnnPT77 said.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Isn't there a really good old "squishy fat" thread that goes over all this? I can't remember who authored it.

Yes I tried to find it in the search to link to it but I couldn't so I loosely paraphrased from memory. I think it's a combination of what I said and what @AnnPT77 said.

Ann summed up what I thought it said, so we're good!
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    @mmapags Thanks for posting the article! That seems to explain so much about my recent uptick/stalls and downward "whooshes" where I drop 1-2 pounds below where I was! (I still have quite a bit of visceral belly fat to lose)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Well, this ain't happening for me - either jiggly fat getting less jiggly, or skin snapping back. It didn't happen at 11% bf (hydrostatic) and it's of course no better now that I've put about 7 lbs back on.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    BTW, visceral fat does not show on your belly. That is subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat is internal around your organs and within your ribcage. If it's abdominal fat, it's subcutaneous. Typically but not always, when we start to lose fat, it is visceral fat that goes first to a large degree.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Said up there, but more reassurance.....totally normal. You often look way worse, then boom — one day you look better. Hang in there.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this thread has BLOWN my mind. I have learnt so much.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I remember the old thread. Thanks for the article link, I find Lyle very informative. I’m happy to report that I was noticing the jiggly, squishy, dimpled pattern on my thighs yesterday. They look horrible, yet I was encouraged because I know this is happening behind the scenes.