Healthy alternatives/cravings

Options
Halo top ice cream is great for me because its low in calories and high in protein. What do you guys eat to satisfy your cravings??? aiycker76gj5.jpg

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things in this world is a "chocolate cow." It's a float with chocolate ice cream and coke. I simply can't have one in moderation, so I have substituted it with chocolate halo top and a coke zero and honestly its very, very close to being just as delicious!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Halo Top. Just had Strawberry Cheesecake for the first time last night. Yum! My favorite, I think, is Peanut Butter and Jelly (which I did not expect).
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Aldi sells low calorie, high protein popsicles (basically Halo top, but the Aldi version and as popsicles rather than ice cream tubs - but they do have those, as well). I'm obsessed with the salted caramel swirl one, at the moment.

Usually when I crave things I want salty/savory, though! My fave go-to has been popcorn with savory toppings (salt, nooch, dill, etc...).

Haha, now I want some. =]
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh, like, instead of having six craft beers you satisfy those "cravings" with like three domestics and a few whiskey shots? We talking the same thing?
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Moophoria, Larabar, or a small Cadbury Dairy Milk from the checkout
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no substitute for the things I am craving. Wine, coffee (with caffeine), oysters, cured meats, Cocoa Krispies (not in Canada, and it's gotta be the real thing).
  • TimothyJohn90
    TimothyJohn90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh, like, instead of having six craft beers you satisfy those "cravings" with like three domestics and a few whiskey shots? We talking the same thing?

Lol your a funny guy!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,578 Member
    Options
    I had a crappy day and bought myself Halo Top Peanut Butter Cup today! What are your favorite Halo Tops? I also like Enlightened ice cream and bars, and Yasso bars. Non ice cream would be Fage 2% Greek yogurt with a packet of Splenda and cinnamon. Extra points for having fresh picked strawberries to dip in it!
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lately if I want something sweet I've had some sugar free jello. I'm craving less actual pre-prepared sweets now. I still eat fruit so it's not an avoidance of sugar.

Sometimes if I want a creamy sweet I'll get some plain Greek yogurt and add a little honey then some kind of frozen fruit. Sometimes I add cocao nibs and unsweetened flaked coconut instead of fruit. It's pretty good and I can keep it to my own sweet level.

So many products are over the top sweet now that things are losing actual flavor and instead taste like the sweeteners.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top! I also just discovered Chilly Cow, it tastes good and comes in a single serving size so makes me feel no guilt what so ever B)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just to throw a wrench into it, what makes the "real thing" bad that you need an alternative?

higher cal, or higher sugar, or lower protein does not equate to unhealthy... any food you each should be looked at in the context of your overall diet, and if you hit all your macros and micros, then what ever you add should not be looked at as unhealthy.
    I tend to just eat less of the real things an avoid "replacement" foods
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of replacement foods, but I often find that what I am craving doesn't have to be high cal -- for example, I might be wanting something salty and crunchy, and a pickle or even radishes and kohlrabi with a little salt might be just what I want (or air popped popcorn with olive oil spray to make some salt stick). For sweet, I'll have 200 cal of ice cream if I want it, or a square of good chocolate, but often I find myself really wanting sweet and cold and fruity and some frozen berries in the blender or a chilled pear or some clementines hit the spot.

Something like greek yogurt plus some nut butter makes a nice occasional dessert too -- it's NOT lower cal that other desserts, but often helps hit nutritional goals like protein if you are lower than desired.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like to make popsicles out of flavored bottled nondairy milks or protein shakes or any concoction I make myself in a vitamix with or without protein powder. Can use fruit juice or combine cut up fruits and just add them into the mold and then add juice or water to fill in the gaps also. There are fancier recipes for making popsicles, but I'm a minimalist. My molds hold about 2.5 fluid ounces. So it's a nice size for me. I have even just added soda to the molds....
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    I love Halo Top! I also just discovered Chilly Cow, it tastes good and comes in a single serving size so makes me feel no guilt what so ever B)

Chilly cow is AMAZING! The brown butter caramel is fantastic. It even passes the test of my hubby, who usually won't settle for anything less than Ben & Jerry's or Bluebunny.

I don't really care much for Halotop. Occassionally I get one of their better flavors, but it leaves this funny feeling in my throat and it just doesn't scream "ice cream" to me. Yasso bars are good, though. I haven't been able to find Enlightened anywhere.
    So-Delicious makes these non-dairy frozen mousses that are incredible.
  • dfleurr
    dfleurr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit or pretzels with Chocolate Hummus or Vanilla bean hummus! SO GOOD! The chocolate tastes like brownie batter and the vanilla tastes like cake batter. I usually buy the Tribe brand, but if you make it yourself it can be healthier.