Strength training whilst trying to lose weight

Options
l am still doing 30DS and halfway through Level1 but l decided to try No More Trouble Zones (one of Jillian Michaels workout) which is purely strength training and l absolutely LOVED it! l hate strength training but l loved it, it was difficult but a lot better than cardio workout. lf l did 30 Day Shred 3 times a week and No More Trouble Zones 3 times a week, would l lose weight quicker? l love 30DS but not as much as NMTZ :o) l still have quite a lot of weight to lose so would building muscle just make me look a lot bulkier? Thanks.

Replies

• duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can really build muscle while you are on a calorie deficit. At least this is what I've read. You can get stronger with what you've got, and strength training will help you lose fat faster than cardio because of after burn and stuff. So it will help you keep the muscle you already have, which is good, because muscle == higher metabolism.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    you cant, duck is right.
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    Just make sure u get in enough cardio cause thats how u lose weight but its good to do both so that u r toning as u go.. I have both workouts i would suggest on your day of strength still do some kind of cardio for at least 30 min.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I don't think you can really build muscle while you are on a calorie deficit. At least this is what I've read. You can get stronger with what you've got, and strength training will help you lose fat faster than cardio because of after burn and stuff. So it will help you keep the muscle you already have, which is good, because muscle == higher metabolism.

Of course you can tone muscle. Doing cardio and strength training will work for sure. I'd say doing both of them would help. Muscle burns more calories.

I've been doing cardio and 30 Day shred and I am losing more inches then weight.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    30 Day Shred is circuit training so it is cardio and weights... I burn 250 calories while doing 20 minutes with HRM
  • Neoneko
    Neoneko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you take a protein supplement (like maximuscle promax diet) it can help you retain the muscle you are building up and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Also helps you not ache so much after exercise.
  • sarahsoki
    Options
    Adding enough muscle to be considered "bulk" would take years of professional level training and supplements. Not something you can do by accident.

Overall, weights will cause more calories burned than cardio since your muscles make a constant demand for calories instead of the one-time demand of cardio.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I strength train- like HEAVY strength training and did through most of my journey. I lost more inches with the weight and I found myself firmer than I would have been otherwise. With the calorie deficit, cardio and strength training you have a power combo to lose weight. Particularly since muscle utilizes more fuel at rest than fat does AND it takes up less space with the same amount of weight. In fact you may see inches drop without the scale moving so much when you get closer to your goal if you continue to strength train.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    You absolutely can gain muscle while on a deficit. That is one of the most important parts of getting healthy, and every pound of muscle burns something like 30% more than a pound of fat! There is nothing saying you have to have extra calories to build muscle. You don't even need extra protein, though it will help repair your muscles after a particularly hard workout.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can gain muscle while on a deficit. That is one of the most important parts of getting healthy, and every pound of muscle burns something like 30% more than a pound of fat! There is nothing saying you have to have extra calories to build muscle. You don't even need extra protein, though it will help repair your muscles after a particularly hard workout.

This is counter to everything I have read, and I've read a bit. I suggest you read up on it yourself. You basically can only keep what you already have, unless you are very new to lifting.