Low Carb + Intermittent Fasting

ma_00
ma_00 Posts: 1 Member
Hello Friends:

I’ve began on my own (6 days ago) a mix of intermittent fasting with Low Carb and I feel so happy and active. Even my mind thinks faster!

I’m doing it by apps, and searching the internet... and was wondering if anyone has tried it?

What percentage of carbs do you eat? of protein and of fats? (I guess this is my main question)

Anyone on this?

thank u so much and happy dieting!

Replies

• ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Which apps are you using. Have you tried Diet Doctor?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Low carb is generally considered under 100g carbs, though I've seen it listed as high as 150g. Typical recommendations for good health are 0.6-1g of protein per lb of goal or ideal weight, and at least 0.3g of fat per.

I don't do low carb, so no personal recommendations there. Generally, the lower carb you go, the higher your fat should get, as your body more easily uses one or the other for energy. But macros are largely personal preference :smile:
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    I'm doing my own thing too, not really tracking but I loosely aim for %c20, f55, p25. And then IF a few times a week.

• Lashes1986
    Lashes1986 Posts: 126 Member
    I’ve just started myself also, around a 12days who.

I’m doing 20/4 fasting cycle so basically ends up being OMAD. I’m struggling with keeping the macros right. I try to keep to no more than 30g Carbs. My protein tends to be quite high. I’m struggling to get my fat up without increasing the carbs.

No real advice but hoping to get some inspiration. Feel free to add me hun xx
  • asuddock18
    asuddock18 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello! Happy to hear you are trying to find what works for your body! We are all so different as far as what works for weight management!!

I have been intermittent fasting 16/8 for a few months, but did not alter WHAT I ate, just to get into the habit of fasting. And while I have not lost any weight, it kept me from continuing to gain. (I am eat clean until dinner... that's where I blow it. Enter comfort food, eating out, and cocktails... When you live above a Tiki bar in a busy downtown, temptations are all around! HAHA)

Now here is the interesting part: On Friday I started My Fitness Pal to track carbs & calories. No more than 50 carbs & 1200 calories to jumpstart the weight loss. I do allow the additional calories for steps/exercise that the app calculates. I am down 2 pounds in 2 days. I also started using the Dubrow Diet (intermittent fasting + healthy balanced eating plan for weight loss & maintenance, which allows for cheat day each week).

Once I reach goal weight, I plan to follow the Dubrow Diet's maintenance phase for the most part. It's very doable. I highly recommend that you order the book from Amazon.

Oh and the reason I chose the number of 50 carbs is because I'm taking a daily supplement that puts your body in Ketosis without following the exact Keto diet, as long as you don't go over 50 carbs. Otherwise I would not have any idea what numbers to be shooting for. There are so many differing numbers when you research on the internet!

Good luck & please post updates!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    I am a keto'er and I do IF (16:8)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I follow a Keto diet and naturally moved to IF as I found that I was staying fuller longer from my meals. I 18:6 fast most days, and a few times a week stretch it to 23-24hrs with ease.
  • purwonder
    purwonder Posts: 25 Member
    I have recently started eating a low(er) carb diet and also do IF (16:8). It’s working great for me. Since I’m just beginning, it will take some time to find the right foods that will help me lose weight, get enough protein and nutrients, and also feel satisfied.In addition, I’m also trying to reduce my sodium intake. It’s a challenge that I am committed to being successful at.
  • losnmymind
    losnmymind Posts: 12 Member
    Since the end of January I've been restricting calories to 1200 a day, eating more clean, exercising, and about 3 months ago, starting incorporating IF as well. I started doing 16/8 IF a few times a week . I now prefer to do a 24 hour fast 1-2 times a week (eating very low carb/high fat & protein the meal before and after I start)) . I've been having very successful weight loss since I started all of this. Down 34 lbs with another 66 to go. All of this has been incredible for me. I have more energy, brain feels clear, and it seems like the IF resets my body. I even work out during my fast - it just hasn't been a problem for me energy wise. I try to eat lower carb, but I do have carbs - the good kind like fruit and grains, non-processed, etc. I'm set nutritionally to eat 30% carbs/40% fat/30% protein. I find it challenging to eat that much protein and fat each day with my calories set to 1200 though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    ma_00 wrote: »
    What percentage of carbs do you eat? of protein and of fats? (I guess this is my main question)

Low carb is more a description of how some people eat than a specific way to eat. There are no specific macros to follow, but if carbs are less than, I dunno, 30% of total cals it's often considered low carb.

I did low carb for a while just because it's how I naturally ate for a while. Around 100 g carbs, 100 g protein, and then 45 g fat, although it would vary. That's about 25% carbs and protein and 50% fat. I liked it and found it easy to stick to for me, although my nutritional and dietary preferences have changed since then so I'm not doing it currently.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I get the same satiation that Keto-ers and other LCHFers describe at 85 - 125 net carbs. This is why I always tell people not to assume you need a really LC plan but to experiment so you are not restricted anymore than necessary. Some days I do eat less, sometimes even keto levels but it just works out that way.
  • smfratus
    smfratus Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2019
    First week complete!

SW: 191 CW: 183

Carbs = under 75 Protein = 75 Fat = 66

First week down. Feeling great! I fast about 12-18 hours a day depending how I feel. Usually 14