Which is better?

Is jogging better to loose weight or bicycling?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    This^^
  • Deadberri
    Deadberri Posts: 38 Member
    Thank you Jaymi and Dewd. Both makes sense. I was curious about it in general. I know I really need to work on my diet mostly. I was debating which would be more productive, but I know I would like biking better. Haha. Thank you!
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2019
    Deadberri wrote: »
    Thank you Jaymi and Dewd. Both makes sense. I was curious about it in general. I know I really need to work on my diet mostly. I was debating which would be more productive, but I know I would like biking better. Haha. Thank you!

As far as which will get you the higher calorie burn? That’s hardly important. I tried many times through the years to break into running. (I now know my shoes were an issue). It wasn’t fun for me, everything hurt for days after and I never made it more than a week before calling it quits.

Cycling on the other hand is something I’ve always loved, so I started there. Then I moved to a city that wasn’t super bike friendly and was covered in snow more months than not, so I bought an elliptical because it was cheap. Eventually I switched to running, but not until I did my homework and got good shoes, used a good beginner program and already had a decent baseline level of fitness. Those things weren’t necessary, but for me it helped.

All that to say, the most effective activity is the one you can stick with long term. The extra calorie burn from any form of activity is nice, but overall isn’t going to make or break weighloss.

Work out because you enjoy it, it’s good for your cardiovascular system, helps you keep mobility as you age, boosts your mood and overall health. Losing weight is more about what you eat.
  • Deadberri
    Deadberri Posts: 38 Member
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think I'm going to start with fixing my diet and incorporating exercising. I really do enjoy exercising when I do it, but have the trouble making myself actually do it. :neutral: I'm trying to get better at it though. I need to improve my health and want to feel my best. :smile:
  • harrycharming885
    harrycharming885 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi DeadBerri! Good to know that you are following tips as suggested above by different users. Along with this, I want to share a short diet plan also. Follow this easiest diet chart if you want to lose weight at its easiest.
    Replace a burger and fries with a chicken wrap and salad, and drink water instead of juice, soda or alcohol. Replace bread with fresh vegetables such as carrots and broccoli. Avoid sweetened coffee and alcohol (if you drink) — they are one of the sneakiest sources of excess calories. Increase your daily activity. Do this every day for six to seven weeks. :)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Is jogging better to loose weight or bicycling?

Take a HRM and see which one burns more calories for you.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member

There is no easy answer. First, as has been pointed out weight loss is a function of diet mostly. That said, which exercise is better? I do both. In the winter I tend to run more because of the shorter amounts of daylight. I can get up and run in the dark. When the days are longer I tend to prefer cycling because I can go longer and farther to see more of the country. Both are fantastic. If indoor training is an option then either a treadmill or a bike on a trainer solves the daylight issue. I generally detest indoor training but I may try Zwift and a smart trainer this winter...

If I were forced to choose I might say cycling though. I can ride my bike for 5-7 hours and burn a lot of calories. Depending on how hard I pushed, I can be back on the bike the next day and knock out 20-30 miles. It tends to be easier on the body. Running for much more than 2 hours is quite a challenge for me and requires a lot of recovery.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Both burn calories which might help you with being in a deficit.

Calorie burned will be dependant on your fitness level for each activity along with body weight.

Unless you don't plan on eating your calories back you will get the same result of weight loss if you consume the same amount of calories in relation to your TDEE after adding your activity(s) of the day.

You don't have to choose one or the other unless you plan on competing, you can choose both if you wish in any combination you enjoy within your goal(s).