Bulk and cut VS lean muscle gain

Options
What is your approach to getting that shredded beach body? To bulk up and then cut back the fat, or to build muscle and cut fat at the same time?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't have a aesthetic goal personally. My goal is strength on the platform and add mass in spurts of training blocks.

If I wanted to be shredded as a goal today, I would lower some body fat points first.
    Though I have quite a lot of muscle and some visible abs even at 16-17%...I would able to bulk longer and get a better ROI on hypertrophy style training for mass gain or fat loss if I shed a 15lbs or so first.

In other words, recomp though a valid option at my weight/age isn't my preference nor is the best option for me.

If you have already a lower body percentage currently you might have success either way depending if you are resistant or sensitive to training.

Another option is just to cut while running higher volume/protein and you can achieve a shredded look as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If I want to lean out, I cut.. so eat in a deficit and try to keep as much muscle as possible. However I have the muscle base to back it up as a result of multiple bulk cycles. I haven't spent too much time recomping (doing both at the same time) so I can't comment on that one, but for me I prefer to gain then lose.. over and over again.