Getting Tired & Hangry!!

Options
melaniekboe
melaniekboe Posts: 16 Member
edited May 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’ve lost 12.5lbs in my first month - almost halfway to my first goal of 30lbs! It has realistically been pretty easy. I’ve been drinking my 64oz of water, weighing everything I eat, exercising & lowering my calories (avg 1300-1400/day) & carbs while increasing protein. I love fruit & veggies!! Well, this week I have been plain old tired & hungry! I haven’t changed a thing, but I don’t understand why I’m struggling more than before?!?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Too low of calories is catching up to you?

You're pre-menstrual?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What are your stats (height, current weight, gender, goal weight)? I lose on 1,300 and I'm short, sedentary, and getting close to a healthy weight range, so that may be too low for you, especially if you're not eating exercise calories back (if you are, disregard).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yeah, there might be a lot of water weight in your loss from the first week or two, but otherwise 12 lbs in a month is super aggressive unless you have over 100 lbs to lose.

And as @quiksylver296 suggested, many women have weeks during the month where they are more or less energetic due to their monthly cycle.
  • melaniekboe
    Options
    What are your stats (height, current weight, gender, goal weight)? I lose on 1,300 and I'm short, sedentary, and getting close to a healthy weight range, so that may be too low for you, especially if you're not eating exercise calories back (if you are, disregard).

5’4” 197.5lbs, thick build female, end goal is 150lbs, but first is 180lbs

The 1300-1400 calories is without the exercise calories added back in
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, there might be a lot of water weight in your loss from the first week or two, but otherwise 12 lbs in a month is super aggressive unless you have over 100 lbs to lose.

And as @quiksylver296 suggested, many women have weeks during the month where they are more or less energetic due to their monthly cycle.

And hangry! ;)
  • kimny72
    Options

So you have around 50lbs or so to get into the healthy weight range for your height. You really should be aiming for 1-1.5 lbs per week. There's a reason MFP won't even let you set your goal higher than 2 lbs. Feel free to eat a little more and lose a little slower. Aggressive weight loss puts a lot of stress on your body and you risk losing muscle mass in the process. :drinker:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yeah, you'll be just fine with eating more and just slowing your rate of loss so you're less hungry. For many around your stats, 1lb a week tends to be comfortable. Many people get a "honeymoon" period in their first month where they still have some decent stores of energy from being at or above maintenance prior to starting, but it starts to wear thin when you realize that this is forever. Many will actually struggle with getting enough calories because they've switched from very calorie-dense foods to not very calorie-dense ones, but eventually the lack of calories catches up and you get hungry despite the added bulk.
  • melaniekboe
    Options

Maybe I’m thinking of it wrong, but would it be water weight if I’ve consistently made sure I was drinking at least 64oz of water per day? 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • kimny72
    Options

Maybe I’m thinking of it wrong, but would it be water weight if I’ve consistently made sure I was drinking at least 64oz of water per day? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, when you change your diet (especially by lowering carbs) your body will sometimes release a lot of water weight it was holding onto (and if you go back to eating a higher level of carbs, you will then take some of that water back on). It has to do with how carbs are metabolized I think. Anyway, some people can lose several lbs of water weight in the first week.

Burning fat is a process that takes time - your body can only burn so much at once. It's not physically possible to burn say 5 lbs of fat in a week. At least that's my amateur understanding :wink:
  • melaniekboe
    Options

Yes, when you change your diet (especially by lowering carbs) your body will sometimes release a lot of water weight it was holding onto (and if you go back to eating a higher level of carbs, you will then take some of that water back on). It has to do with how carbs are metabolized I think. Anyway, some people can lose several lbs of water weight in the first week.

Burning fat is a process that takes time - your body can only burn so much at once. It's not physically possible to burn say 5 lbs of fat in a week. At least that's my amateur understanding :wink:

Good to know - thank you so much!!!