I struggle to get going

Options
Hi I am trying this again i struggle with eating and motivation and exercise is hard cause when i walk my legs scream i need to know how to get and stay on a program i am sick of by end of day i have messed up again i just need help getting my butt moving

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Small changes instead of drastic ones.
    • Log your normal food intake for a couple of days to see where you're taking in the extra calories.
    • Set yourself to a sustainable rate of loss, don't automatically go for the quickest rate.
    • Make some small changes to your existing diet to get down to your new calorie goal.
    • Walk as far as you can without your legs screaming, then go a little bit further, and a little bit further and so on.

Weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen so it's more important to focus on your food.

Exercise is good for your health but shouldn't leave you in pain, do what you can and progress slowly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Start where you are.

If walking is difficult, search for other forms of exercise. Swimming, for instance, relieves the burden of gravity upon your joints. Resistance bands can be used while seated. As you achieve and maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. As your weight declines, your ability to stand and move will increase.
  • qmamasmamas
    qmamasmamas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some ideas that I think might help you with your weight loss goals that do not include walking:
    • Yoga (youtube offers many free videos)
    • Pilates
    • Gentle living room exercises with a newborn (I'm guessing from your profile pic)
    • Lifting hand weights from your couch. Pump your arms up and down while watching television
    • Lightly reducing your calorie intake temporarily on days when you cannot exercise

Best of luck to you.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Start with wherever you are, and make a project of building better habits for yourself.

If your goal has to do with losing weight, consider concentrating on food-related habits first, as that will have the biggest impact.

For me, when I got started, the goals were at the level of "eat a breakfast that is on plan." That was it. The day was a win if I did that. I kept track, and made sure I was reliable for whatever the new habit was, then added a new habit to focus on. You are likely further along the path to health than I was, so you'll have to figure out what's

Here are a couple of my favorite resources on motivation and habits:
    1. Article: https://jamesclear.com/motivation

2. Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_nzqnXWvSo

Good luck!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    First, give yourself props for starting at all, and for reaching out for help when you need it - nicely done!

If you're walking and your legs are "screaming"...you are probably doing too much too fast. Walking should not be a painful activity, and if it is something is wrong. My guess is that you are going too long, too fast, or both and your legs are burning because they aren't strong enough and your heart isn't strong enough. Another possibility is that you don't have shoes that support you properly.

Also...do you know what your ideal heart rate is when walking? Some people go way too hard and actually aren't in the aerobic zone and getting the full benefit of working out.

One of the big myths of weight loss is you HAVE to work out heavily to lose weight--you really don't. You have to eat accordingly, of course...on MFP you can lose weight without additional workouts at all. (It's easier if you do and there are benefits beyond calorie loss as well, however.)

Working out should not be painful.

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Can you forget about exercise for now and just count calories, stay in a deficit, and lose the first bit of weight that way?