Should I eat when I'm not hungry?

Options
So, I'm having kind of a weird problem today. My weight problem has always been about the kinds of foods I ate rather than the amount of food I ate. Now that I'm trying to make healthier choices, I'm noticing I'm not necessarily hungry enough to eat my allotted calories. I don't want my body to think I'm starving it or something because that would be unhealthy, not to mention slow down my metabolism. So, do I eat if I don't feel hungry? Or let my body tell me when it's hungry and figure it'll all work out in the end?

Replies

• LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I try to eat all my calories, even when I'm not hungry if I've exercised a lot I know my body needs the fuel to keep going. I'm also hypoglycemic so I have to keep eating! :) Best of luck!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I wait till I am "hungry" I sometimes make bad choices. I try to set up a reasonable schedule. If you are exercising your body needs fuel, carbs and proteins
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    No, unless you are eating your exercise calories back, or if you are netting below 1200 calories.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been having the exact same issue, and so have the exact same question.
    I'm really looking forward to the answer!
    Pj
  • lthornton07
    lthornton07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I, too, would like to know the answer to this question. I've heard that it's best to eat about six times a day so that your metabolism can get to used to breaking down all of the food so it starts working faster.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Make sure you are eating every 2-3 hours to maintain your blood sugar. You don't have to eat until you are full. I can't always get all my calories in but I do eat every few hours.
  • akjenjen
    Options
    If I wait till I am "hungry" I sometimes make bad choices. I try to set up a reasonable schedule. If you are exercising your body needs fuel, carbs and proteins

This is why I don't wait until I am hungry. I will cram my face full of crappy food because my brain isn't thinking properly when I get to the point of STARVING. LOL I eat at the times I plan the best I can.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about it. The calorie goals are estimates based on 'average' they aren't set in stone and each persons requirements are likely to be different, because everyone's metabolism is different. (are you sure you have your activity settings right?)
    Make healthy choices, don't wait till you're startving then eat junk, work some exercise in and as long as you aren't eating a ridiculously low amount of calories I suspect it will all work itself out. Our bodies are actually pretty good at telling us what we need once we learn to start listening to them.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't....and if (when) I hit a plateau, maybe I'll change things up, but for now, I see no point forcing food down when I don't feel hungry, as long as I still have energy to work out and feel good!
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt go too far under 1200 our body needs a minimum just to survive and you dont want to slow down metabolism like you said. but if it evens out over the week some days under and some over , then i wouldnt worry too much aobut it. just get close to it. i dont know what your diary is like but maybe smaller meals more often like the other woman said every 3 hours max. spreading the calories out throughout the day, might help (if your not doing that already lol). i was told not to wait till i was starving and to eat when i started feeling hungy that way you will be satisfied quicker and eat less.whereas if you wait you will eat too much. if you eat 5-6 times small serves a day your body eventually adjusts and feels hungry at those times. hope that made sense lol ,
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... if I wait till I'm hungry I feel like grabbing anything I can get my hands on. I try to eat every 2-3 hours and I've upped my water. I'm still coming in under my calorie goal, but netting over 1,200 every day.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

This is why I don't wait until I am hungry. I will cram my face full of crappy food because my brain isn't thinking properly when I get to the point of STARVING. LOL I eat at the times I plan the best I can.

I agree & it happens to me all the time when I skip my meals especially breakfast. I will eat as much as I want until I feel stuffed and bloated. You will have much discipline to control your portions if you're not hungry.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    How many calories is MFP alloting you daily right now?
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't....and if (when) I hit a plateau, maybe I'll change things up, but for now, I see no point forcing food down when I don't feel hungry, as long as I still have energy to work out and feel good!

That is how I feel also!