Eating only when hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I graze extensively when I’m at work. I feel like I’m constantly eating. It seems easy. I go as far as cutting bananas in half. At home I eat regular meals. I feel like it’s a lot harder at night to stay within calorie goals. I try not to eat anything until dinner. I get hungry a lot at night and I worry about going over.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Eating when hungry has helped me rein in mindless snacking and emotional/stress eating. I do eat three meals a day and sometimes a snack or two. Not having an appetite has never been an issue for me. I have learned to listen to my body’s signals and it has helped me a lot.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I more or less eat when I'm hungry, but I also count calories. I'm not hungry all the time and, thankfully, I don't always have to remind myself to eat. I definitely don't have a specific times when I eat though, save for when my breakfast is more or less dictated by my schedule.

For example, today I ate lunch at around 1pm. Tomorrow I might eat lunch at 2 or 2:30. My window for dinner is anywhere from 5-8:30pm.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    aes1219 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    aes1219 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I do. I eat when I'm hungry. I have lose 54 lbs so far since the end of December (postpartum) and am almost to my ultimate goal weight of 125 lbs at 5'5. I do not count calories, but I am mindful of what I eat and I exercise a lot. Yesterday I ate breakfast and then ate at 3pm and wasn't hungry the rest of the day.

You should not be doing it. You have lost weight at an unhealthy rate (over 2.5 pounds per week). You need to be eating more.

Actually, you are wrong. I think your post meant well but it is wrong. I am postpartum, I lost 20 lbs in less than a week from the weight of the baby and water weight. Another 10 lbs came off over the following week. My weightloss has significantly slowed down, my doctors (primary care, cardiologist, and OBGYN are very happy with my weight loss and I am as healthy as can be).

I see. I thought your starting weight was after delivery.

I am glad you found something that works for you then.

Lots of water weight is lost postpartum. I know this...daughters spitting out grandkids all over the place lol.

You made me spit out my wine.

Sniggering, h.

Need warning notices for humour.
  • quebooboo
    quebooboo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stress and hormones affect my appetite, which is why I use mfp. My appetite never seems to match my actual needs. I'm either never hungry or starving. I'm currently 3 weeks postpartum, breastfeeding, and can eat everything in the pantry in one sitting. I count my calories to stay in a heavy range.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If I ate only when hungry I'd be under-eating more often than not. It's not always a good strategy.

And I'd eat all the time. That's how I got 40 lbs overweight. The whole hunger/ satiety thing is very individual. For some people it can work for weight loss but most of us need some kind of game plan and measurement method.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I only do it for breakfast, I wait to eat it until I'm a little bit hungry. For the rest of my meals, it wouldn't work. I would feel deprived if I had the calories and wanted something and didn't spend them on it, which leads to rebound overeating. I also tend to need more food and it takes longer for me to feel full if I let myself get too hungry. I eat when I'm hungry, when it's meal time, when I'm craving something, when I'm socializing, and when I just feel like munching on something. Doing it any other way would make it feel too restrictive and joyless (which never works out in my favor).

It's a balancing act and it works best for me. If I'm having a hungry day I focus on satisfying that hunger and tell my other needs "later" Sometimes I even plan a maintenance day and even that barely satisfies my hunger. If I'm having a low hunger day I eat for more than hunger and eat more hedonically, or save the calories for another day if it also happens to be a low appetite day and it would feel like a waste of calories to force myself to eat.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on you. If you think you'd handle it well and still reach your goals, go for it. If I did that I would end up binging, so that's a no for me. I eat at specific times instead (10:00 breakfast, 12:30 snack, 2:30 lunch, 4:30 snack, 6:30 dinner)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm pretty much hungry (as in happy to eat, not ravenous) at regular meal times (in the morning before work, around noon or 1, and when I have dinner, which tends to be around 9). I am often somewhat hungry before dinner (late afternoon when I planned to stay at work late used to be my danger time for mindless snacking, usually to procrastinate), but if I am I know dinner is only a few hours away so I just wait and it goes away if my mind is on something else. If I have an extra hard (from a calorie burning perspective) workout I might eat something outside my normal plan if feeling extra hungry, but generally not. I don't force myself to eat when not hungry, but that normally happens when I am sick or occasionally if I have to leave before I get hungry and then I might just skip breakfast and eat lunch earlier (and usually more for lunch). But really my appetite is pretty in tune with my regular meal times (and tends to adjust to when I normally eat).

I know it works for some, but the idea of eating based on when I'm hungry makes me think of walking around thinking "am I hungry?" "am I hungry yet?" "hmm, I might be a little hungry, am I hungry enough to eat?" or "hmm, hungry! must ditch my dinner plans later and eat right now!" All that thinking about it seems too much for me, I like just eating at mealtime (and eating less if I'm not really that hungry, maybe). I'm probably overthinking this, but then I'm prone to that, which is why the "am I hungry?" thing wouldn't work for me.