Trail running shoes for hiking? Mistake?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I've always done best with minimal shoes for hiking, even long distances with a pack. I need protection from sharp things and from stubbing my toe, I need grip, and that's pretty much it.

I have a pair of excellent Solomon shoes, but they're GTX and too warm for summer. So I'm looking for warm hiking shoes, and these are on sale:

https://www.rei.com/product/147679/arcteryx-norvan-sl-trail-running-shoes-mens

They're unbelievably light. I have a couple of uphill hikes coming up that I'm intimidated by. A pound on your feet is like five on your back, and I can use all the help I can get. The fit is good (toe box is a little big). The top is mesh, so should be super breathable. I like all the dead bird gear I have.

These are listed as trail running and approach shoes.

What do you think? Bad idea? Worth a try? REI has a satisfaction guarantee, but, good faith, if it's not going to work it's better to save everyone the trouble.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I know a lot of people who hike in trail runners. Just be sure you’re okay with not having the ankle support regular hiking boots provide. Do make sure the toe box is not so wide that it lets your foot slip forward and your toes bang against the front of the shoes on steep descents. I know a lot of people (including me) who have lost toenails that way (and it ain’t pretty). Last, the mesh might not provide enough lateral support...it depends on your body mechanics as well as how long the hike is and how much weight you’ll be carrying.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't carrying really heavy loads, trail runners work fine for hiking. Most PCT and CDT hikers wear running shoes and a lot of AT hikers. Some people prefer more ankle support or support for high arches, but they work for many people.

The thing with the term "approach shoes" is that rock climbers wear special shoes when they are on the rock that have an extremely flexible lightweight sole so they can stick to tiny bumps and indents. They wear trail runners to get from the trailhead to the rock face, which can be several miles.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of hikes in trail runner, but nothing intense.

Biggest issue I had with mine was that they aren't very waterproof (living in Ireland that's a problem even on what starts out as the sunniest day :smile:)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I hike in my runners all the time, but I'm not carrying anything if that makes a difference.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who hike in trail runners. Just be sure you’re okay with not having the ankle support regular hiking boots provide. Do make sure the toe box is not so wide that it lets your foot slip forward and your toes bang against the front of the shoes on steep descents. I know a lot of people (including me) who have lost toenails that way (and it ain’t pretty). Last, the mesh might not provide enough lateral support...it depends on your body mechanics as well as how long the hike is and how much weight you’ll be carrying.

That hasn't occurred to me, thanks! I'll go try them on again and see if they have a downhill ramp. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The thing with the term "approach shoes" is that rock climbers wear special shoes when they are on the rock that have an extremely flexible lightweight sole so they can stick to tiny bumps and indents. They wear trail runners to get from the trailhead to the rock face, which can be several miles.

I used to climb for a couple years, I'm trying to get back into it, but don't have a partner. :neutral:
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have Sportiva Bushido II shoes that I also use for hiking. But, as others have noted, be aware of the lack of ankle support if you go really technical.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how many thru-hikers are using trail runners now.
    Search youtube for that brand/model and probably find one of them giving post-hike review.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The lack of lateral support would be my main concern as well, especially if carrying a pack.

I found my old Vasque Sundowners were the perfect mix of lightweight, support, and temp control—hiked the Grand Canton in them in 115 degrees heat. But that was 30 years ago.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I did rim to rim in a pair of Nike Pegasus.
    Granted, that is not a trail shoe and the pair I wore were an old pair with many, many miles on them.
    But I got to the bottom and my feet felt awfully beat up. It was all the small sharp rocks I had been walking on.
    I decided, then and there, that there is a reason for stiff soles on hiking boots, especially if you are carrying a pack.
    I mean, I didn't have to stop. But it wasn't comfortable. And, as I recall, I limped and hobbled around the Phantom Ranch all evening after we arrived.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the time to find out those are the wrong shoes is not when you are miles into your hike and now you are going to limp your way out. Arcteryx makes great wearable gear including goretex rain jackets I swear by. Shoes- didn’t even know they made em. At least bring the Solomon’s with you so if those shoes don’t work out you can get out without inflicting more damage on your feet. At least you can take them back to Return Everything Inc.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Wanted to post a follow up.

I really wanted to like the shoes in the OP link. But I tried a pair of Merrell Trail Glove 4 on, and it was instant love. They're as comfortable as anything I've ever had on my feet. And half the weight I'm used to, which is like doing EPO.

I broke them in yesterday, 14 miles with 4,813 feet of vert. The vertical is a new record for me and was easier than my previous record. Wish I'd known about this sooner.

About 12 miles in, my feet started wanting more cushion while I was on firmer surfaces, but not on soft dirt.

I'm clearly going to use these for my Enchantments thru hike. Probably I'll wear them for the first 6 miles, for all of the uphill, then change into pillows. I'm less intimidated by the numbers now.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Merrell Trail Glove 5's. They are minimal, have a rock plate, and only weight 8 oz.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/trail-glove-5/36207M.html?dwvar_36207M_color=J50261#cgid=mens-trail-running&start=1

• Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve worn trail running shoes for my hikes for years. A lot of pairs of Solomons. Never had a problem.