Very small but a big deal to me

Options
I've only been going to the gym for two weeks. Then, it took me 20 minutes to go a mile on the treadmill and I BARELY made it.
I really doubted that my goal of completing the Tough Mudder in January would be anywhere near realistic. I really hate cardio, I've really only done the minimum 20 minutes the last week just to say I have, each day saying "I'm working up to it, I'll dial it up when I'm in a little better shape."

Today, I was waiting for a friend. We were only going to lift, I had already excused myself from cardio because of a heavy day yesterday and I was tired. She was running pretty late. I decided to not just sit around and headed to a treadmill. I mostly speed walk and TRY to jog as much as I can. Usually that's only a minute. Today I was jogging a quarter mile at a time and finished 2 miles in 26 minutes. A 13 minute mile!!!! I know it's nowhere near where I need to be for the TM, but I'm really excited by the improvement. It was also a huge eye-opener at what a slacker I've been. All I had to do was push a little and I improved my time by 30%.

I have decided not to slack anymore ;)

Replies

• trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    Way to go...your story prove that every little bit counts!!!!
  • XiaoRuRu
    XiaoRuRu Posts: 83
    Options
    Way to go! It is not small at all! Woohoo! Keep pushing!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think the little accomplishments are great! Sometimes it seems like I'm really struggling, then one day all of a sudden my body's like, oh yeah, I can do this!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • chefswife67
    Options
    Good for you!
    I'm trying to put a little jog in my walking but i can only get so far then have to rest..
    But i can do 30Day Ripped with no problem ...What gives ?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Thats way awesome and not small! I can relate! I would be thrilled at your success! Yay you!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Not a small thing at all! Congrats...a significant achievement! Keep up the good work and your body will respond. Does your car run more efficiently the more you drive it? Of course not, but your body will get stronger and more efficient the more you use it. Bodies are pretty amazing things!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!! keep it up!!! you can definitely do it. You'll be surprised how far you'll go in a short time. I did c25k and now a 5k (at training pace) is no problem at all. i started out just like you :))
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Isn't it fun!?
  • sarahsoki
    Options
    Good for you!
    I'm trying to put a little jog in my walking but i can only get so far then have to rest..
    But i can do 30Day Ripped with no problem ...What gives ?

I can lift SOOO much weight, but cardio? bleh
  • GinaGirl826
    Options
    Great Job! Your post is very encouraging to me. I just cannot seem to get started with the exercise portion of my fitness plan. Keep pushing and keep posting.:happy:happy:
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Great job! Remember, the burn is good! Learn to love the burn!
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    That's a HUGE deal! I'm not certain I could do a 13 minute mile where I'm at right now. Keep up the hard work! And good luck with the Mudder!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!