I need more fiber! Help!!

Options
I need more fiber in my diet. Any suggestions? Just coming off of the keto diet didn’t workout for me. I’m trying to eat 30 grams a day.

Replies

• LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Some of my frequent fiber-rich foods: avocado, broccoli, oatmeal, fresh medjool dates, sweet potato, raw almonds.

Good luck!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The above mentioned foods plus a high fiber cereal if you're not reaching your goal. All Bran or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Also, drink lots of water along with your higher intake of fiber.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Make sure not to increase too quickly. Do it gradually.

Pretty much any whole plant food will have fiber.

I find beans the easiest way to get a big fiber boost. I made a pot of navy bean and ham soup a couple of weeks ago, and while I was having it for one meal a day I was eating 40 and even 50 g of fiber easily.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Some protein powders have high fiber like Bob’s Red Mill. Also, Ezekiel bread is quite high fiber. Go for whole grains and beans. Good luck
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you're basing your need for more fibre on your diary alone, it''s worth checking the database entries for the foods you're logging against the packages/USDA database. A lot of user entered entries are missing fibre because the user who entered it may not have been interested in tracking fibre.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    oats, legumes, lentils, whole grains, veg, fruit...note that while veg and fruit do have fiber, you'll have a tough time hitting a high fiber target solely with veg and fruit...you're going to need those whole grains, legumes, etc...
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    besides having a plant rich diet, I enjoy the organic psyllium powder from whole foods. It's very inexpensive and tastes delicious (I get the berry flavor).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My go to are Mission brand carb balance soft taco tortillas. I wrap eggs in them for breakfast or add them to lunch. 13 g fiber per tortilla and only 70 cals.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    My 91 year old Mom told me about Fiber 1 cereal which worked wonders for me. I didn't think I could keep doing low carb but this definitely helped. Looks like cat food but taste good.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Increase a little every few days. You don’t want abrupt changes...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

I often make a bunch of rice and eat the leftovers over the next couple of days (or have leftover cooked pasta or potatoes). Personally, I'd never count supposed extra fiber toward my fiber goal. If it's a bit lower in cals or higher in fiber, great, bonus, but not a reason not to focus on getting in fiber from the vast majority of other good sources, like veg, fruit, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds, and other whole grains.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Prune juice.

Its pretty gross though.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I normally get about 40g/day. In addition to the foods already mentioned, these are some of the high fiber foods I eat often...
    • Questbars - about 14g per bar, 190 to 200 cal. (differences among flavors), and about 20g protein too!
    • peanut powder, 60g has 10g and 250 cal. (I use the Crazy Richard's brand, PB2 is more popular)
    • Enlightened broad bean crisps (branded as Bada Bean Bada Boom) - 15g per bag, 300 cal.
    • popcorn - 100g unpopped has 13g and 333 cal. (small differences between brands/varieties)

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Prune juice.

Its pretty gross though.

I know prunes are often recommended as a natural treatment for constipation, but that's because of their sorbitol content, not their fiber. Prunes are moderate fiber, 7g in 240 calories, and juicing brings that down a bit - about ~3-4 grams of fiber for 240 calories.

Yes... skip the juice... eat the fruit imho...
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Prune juice.

Its pretty gross though.

I know prunes are often recommended as a natural treatment for constipation, but that's because of their sorbitol content, not their fiber. Prunes are moderate fiber, 7g in 240 calories, and juicing brings that down a bit - about ~3-4 grams of fiber for 240 calories.

I know. I was being a bit facetious. =P