I gained 6 pounds help!!

Options
I was on a low carb diet for about a week and then I went back to low calorie and I didnt gain any weight. I actually lost a pound going back to low calorie. Then out of no where I gained 3 pounds! Then the next day i started my period. Today is the last day of my period were I just spot a little ( barley anything) I gained another 3 pounds in one day again!! Is it all water weight? I gained 6 pounds on my period! And its not going anywhere the scale keeps going up! Im keeping my fingers crossed that it will all be gone tomorrow :( Please help on what it could be..I was 126 i am now 132

Replies

• Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I typically gain 3-5 pounds of water weight and bloating the day before my period starts, and it hangs around until a day or two after my spotting ends.

So it's possible that it's just water weight and bloating. Give it a couple more days and see what happens.

Other than that, evaluate your diet..... have you had any pre-packaged foods..they have hidden sodium.

Have you indulged in cravings this week (i crave sugar and carbs, and am actually fighting it right now)...

If your diet has been good.. then I'd just drink extra water and wait a day or two. Also make sure you're getting enough GOOD sodium (unprocessed sea salt). Not enough salt and not enough water will both cause you to retain water.

Good luck!
    God bless!
  • karhaz123
    Options
    I find that when people go on low carb or no carb diets they are just losing water weight and not fat, and then when they go back to a regular diet they gain it all back.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    The initial weight loss on low carb diets is all water weight. Combined with your period, the gain is probably water. I would stick to low calorie and get some exercise and then check in again next week.
  • BuggaJr
    BuggaJr Posts: 7
    Options
    I always gain right as my period starts! I hate it but I know that it will go again once I'm done. If you are doing any strength training that could do it too. My husband is a personal trainer and the low carb part of a diet is very, very difficult because that is your body's fuel source...it is also the only source of energy for your brain and nervous system so don't go too low. Getting back into a diet that includes carbs can do that as well because your body has to figure out what to do with those again but it doesn't seem as though you were low carb for very long.

Keep pushing and don't give up...Best of luck!

9701819.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    That's what happens for following a low-carb diet and then snapping back to a less restrictive diet. Your body was in a state of ketosis, meaning that it doesn't burn carbs; it burns your fat storage. Now that you suddenly introduced carbs back, your body is going to store them, because it is not used to burning them. It's like starvation. You drastically take away calories and your body burns your muscle and fat. When you introduce more calories back in, your body will store them as fat. I suggest no more low-carb, no more gimmicky diets. Just balanced, healthy, and calorie-controlled.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 21000 calories more than you burned, then you didn't gain 6 pounds of fat -- and that's all that matters.