Vacation Time - Help Me Avoid Old Habits

So I'm going to visit my folks in a couple of days. I have recently started working on my relationship with food and developed new habits that keep me from binging and keep me from making choices that my body doesn't like.

My entire immediate family, myself included obviously, ranges from morbidly obese to overweight. They do not cook or eat the same way I have, which is fine. I don't expect them to. They are perfectly willing to make healthier meals while I am there, but I am very easily influenced. I know one of my siblings will 100% ask me if I want a chicken biscuit (something you can't find up above the Mason Dixon where Iam now) at some point, and I have no willpower to say no.

I feel like I could easily fall into telling myself it's fine to gorge myself on fast food and fatty food because I'm on vacation. Does anyone have any tips and mental tricks to help me not give in?

To clarify: I don't deal in absolutes and don't believe in weight loss by deprivation - if it fits my macros, I certainly don't have an issue eating it. My problem is the binging that comes along with it for me. Think of the book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" but it's me. I'm the mouse.

Replies

• bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Any tips appreciated!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    If you're only visiting them for a couple of days, just try your best, even if your new habits win out only 50% of the time you're there, that's an improvement and you aren't likely to do any irreversible damage in that time.

Perhaps try having a light brunch rather than separate breakfast/lunch to leave a few more calories available for a larger than normal dinner calorie budget.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2019
    How long will you be there? I think that makes a huge difference. If it's a 3-4 day visit, that's one thing and I'd imagine you could pretty easily overcome any indulgences. But if you're staying for a week or even longer, then I do agree it would take more planning to avoid a setback.

I think there are a lot of ways you can cut calories and still eat all the "good stuff" while visiting. For example not drinking your calories, no non-diet soda or sweet tea (gasp?! I know that can be sacrilege to Southerners)...not having the slice of garlic bread or ice cream on birthday cake...silly examples perhaps but that stuff goes a long way. Maybe have that chicken biscuit and enjoy it, but then take small portions at most meals and if there are vegetables or salad available, try to round out a more indulgent meal with double portions of that stuff so you're fuller. This is generally what I do when eating with friends/family who aren't as concerned with health and weight loss as I am.

My family is fairly average weight overall so when I was obese, I was the only one. But they are big snackers. Popcorn with TV/movies, chips out at all times, and a few cookies with coffee mid-morning. Things like that would be my downfall, I'm afraid, if I were staying for an extended visit with my family. I would work to avoid snacking between meals even if it was somewhat tempting, because that's how I eat in my daily life...small breakfast, larger lunch & dinner, no snacks. I could easily participate in their casual snacking and add 200-600 cal each day, I'm sure. (for example my mom barely eats meals but she snacks all the time)

Same applies if you'll be eating in restaurants during the trip. Have fun!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Always have a plan. Willpower has significant limits. It wears out.

Are you going to eat that chicken biscuit? If you are, plan for it. Even if you can’t possibly fit it in your macros. Say to yourself “OK. Today is chicken biscuit day, my numbers are off by xyz.” Even if it’s more than one indulgence per day. Keep planning.

Try to keep your process in place even if the numbers don’t work out. If you keep a food diary, keep it going. Even if it’s just using generic numbers.

Don’t think of yourself as off program. Think of yourself as on an anthropological expedition. The first trip by the 2.0 version of you. When you get back, see what happens at your next several weigh ins. It will give you a lot of information. This is a great opportunity.

• bjkoziara
    If you're only visiting them for a couple of days, just try your best, even if your new habits win out only 50% of the time you're there, that's an improvement and you aren't likely to do any irreversible damage in that time.

Perhaps try having a light brunch rather than separate breakfast/lunch to leave a few more calories available for a larger than normal dinner calorie budget.

I'll be there for 9 days. That's a good idea though. They're not really breakfast people anyway!
  • bjkoziara
    How long will you be there? I think that makes a huge difference. If it's a 3-4 day visit, that's one thing and I'd imagine you could pretty easily overcome any indulgences. But if you're staying for a week or even longer, then I do agree it would take more planning to avoid a setback.

I think there are a lot of ways you can cut calories and still eat all the "good stuff" while visiting. For example not drinking your calories, no non-diet soda or sweet tea (gasp?! I know that can be sacrilege to Southerners)...not having the slice of garlic bread or ice cream on birthday cake...silly examples perhaps but that stuff goes a long way. Maybe have that chicken biscuit and enjoy it, but then take small portions at most meals and if there are vegetables or salad available, try to round out a more indulgent meal with double portions of that stuff so you're fuller. This is generally what I do when eating with friends/family who aren't as concerned with health and weight loss as I am.

My family is fairly average weight overall so when I was obese, I was the only one. But they are big snackers. Popcorn with TV/movies, chips out at all times, and a few cookies with coffee mid-morning. Things like that would be my downfall, I'm afraid, if I were staying for an extended visit with my family. I would work to avoid snacking between meals even if it was somewhat tempting, because that's how I eat in my daily life...small breakfast, larger lunch & dinner, no snacks. I could easily participate in their casual snacking and add 200-600 cal each day, I'm sure. (for example my mom barely eats meals but she snacks all the time)

Same applies if you'll be eating in restaurants during the trip. Have fun!!

Thanks, lots of good tips in there! I am afraid having a chicken biscuit will spiral into a fast food binge, but maybe if I don't worry as much about it and don't freak myself out it won't.
  • bjkoziara
    88olds wrote: »
    Always have a plan. Willpower has significant limits. It wears out.

Are you going to eat that chicken biscuit? If you are, plan for it. Even if you can’t possibly fit it in your macros. Say to yourself “OK. Today is chicken biscuit day, my numbers are off by xyz.” Even if it’s more than one indulgence per day. Keep planning.

Try to keep your process in place even if the numbers don’t work out. If you keep a food diary, keep it going. Even if it’s just using generic numbers.

Don’t think of yourself as off program. Think of yourself as on an anthropological expedition. The first trip by the 2.0 version of you. When you get back, see what happens at your next several weigh ins. It will give you a lot of information. This is a great opportunity.

I love this! Thank you so much :)