Help

Options
I need help with foods on how to loose weight I have a child and at the moment I just eat whatever I want

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can eat whatever foods you prefer, as long as you stay within your calorie target.

Did you do the guided set-up on this site and get a calorie goal?

Read this thread. It's gold.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • jasonkdalessandro4
    jasonkdalessandro4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lots of lean protein and good fats - chicken, lean ground beef/turkey, and steak
    cut out carbs that aren't natural - breads, desserts, breadings, sugar sauces like BBQ, white sugar based products
    if you eat carbs make it natural carbs from fruit, veggies, beans/quinoa and whole grains

most of all portion control. Yes 1000 calories of fruit is better than 1000 calories of McDonalds but in the grand scheme of things its still 1000 calories. Don't think that because its a "healthy food" you can go ham eating as much as you want.

thats basically the 101 at least for what worked for me.
  • bailey060513
    bailey060513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did do the set up yeah but its finding the calories I want to do the 5:2 diet but I'm useless as to this king about what foods are good for it
  • jasonkdalessandro4
    jasonkdalessandro4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    that's your call. 2 days a week at only 500-600 a week is not safe though. Myfitnesspal will give you a warning that it will not count any day under at least 1000 calories for women and 1200 for men because of that so I would recommend not doing that.

If you want to fast do a 12 hr fast where you dont eat from 8pm to 8am and then from 8am to 8pm you should eat your normal allowed calories of 1500-2000 roughly (based on your weight). Taking two days of basically undernourishment is going to mess with your metabolism and make you not lose consistently or even gain more.
  • melindabloom1965
    melindabloom1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Back on the saddle again! lol At my worst at 260lbs for 5'10 ht, thyroid issues as well. At 54 yrs old, I want to loose 100 pound within the year, What is the best course of action?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I did do the set up yeah but its finding the calories I want to do the 5:2 diet but I'm useless as to this king about what foods are good for it

I could never get through the 2 fast days, so I can't help you there. But as far as generally what to eat, there are lots of us who found success eating mostly the same foods as before. We just logged everything, learned which foods filled us up and which were a waste of calories, and played around with portion sizes to eventually find the right foods for us personally.

I ate pizza, an occasional fast food lunch, bread, pasta, ice cream, etc while losing weight, and still am now that I've been maintaining for a couple of years. There's just some stuff I eat less often, and some foods I eat more often, now that I'm calorie conscious. There are no foods that are "bad for weight loss" or "good for weight loss" for every person, but there will no doubt be foods that work well for you and foods you'd do better saving as treats or avoiding altogether. Figuring that out helps you not just lose weight, but maintain it for the long haul.

If you want to do 5:2, the best way would probably be to set your account up as "maintenance" which is what you'll eat on the 5 days, and just don't close out your diary on the two fasting days and know in your head what your goal for those days are.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can eat whatever foods you prefer, as long as you stay within your calorie target.

Did you do the guided set-up on this site and get a calorie goal?

Read this thread. It's gold.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And just to reiterate, the sexypants thread is golden!
  • bailey060513
    bailey060513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your help I'll start meal planning now