Night eating

Options
Hi Everyone
I have been on MFP for a week and think this is a great site. Its great that its free, never thought anything was for free.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for night eating. I seem to be able to stay on track but have trouble at night.
After dinner I am full but still feel the need to eat Any ideas?

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat at night, Fresh fruit and cottage cheese or a slice of turkey. Nothing bad for ya. I don't have a problem with it.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    eat... the problem with night eating is that people eat junk. chips. chocolate. cookies. donuts cake etc.

eat something healthy and you're FINE. eat a fiber one bar.. eat a salad... grilled chicken breast. i dont know :)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually have some celery and peanut butter at night. Otherwise I end up waking up starving at some point or I want to eat everything for breakfast and not save any calories for dinner.
  • carmella7164
    carmella7164 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    its hard but I try to eat something that is low in calories - like a fruit, yogurt, nuts - drink some water. Try to eat no later than 8:00 p.m. I have a hard time with it too. Its like I want ice cream. Good luck - I sometimes read a book or nap and try to not to concentrate on food but its hard. I love mfp too and glad its free. Let me know if you get any suggestions.
    0221 Posts: 4
    Options
    i have the same problem i wake up in the middle of the night to eat and it always puts me over calories i never have calories left. i am having a hard time just staying on track period but if anyone knows how to stop the mid night feedings i would love to hear about it.
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I allow for a evening snack. In a way I separate my dinner into two portions. Also, I try to listen to my urges and see where they are coming from. It can be amazingly insightful. Sometimes, I skipped logging my exercise. And the body is right to ask for more. Sometimes it is work stress taking its toll. Sometimes an empty evening is leading to a full stomach.
  • Ruby0722
    Options
    Hello Benz, I found your post by searching "Night Eating." I do the exact same thing almost every day, even though I am full. I just don't discipline myself to do the next right thing. ALWAYS there is something better to turn to. The food gives that certain kick which is hard to beat, but we have to accept a different kick which can be just as good once we start it. For me it's playing mandolin and/or singing. I can call a friend. I need to decide to turn to something else, even though it won't give me the kick of food, and trust that I will feel happy. THAT and I sleep better when I go to bed without overeating. Just GO TO BED even if it's 8:00 at night! Do the next right thing.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The past 3 days I caught myself doing this. I wake up in the middle of the night and end up munching on something bad for me. Luckily we only had a couple of brownies and now they are gone. Thanks to me...lol
  • grandmacor
    Options
    Hello Everyone - I am new to the site and really hoping to find some support in my weight loss efforts. I am currently doing triathlons but need to drop 20 lbs. to be at my race weight. Support and encouragement would be appreciated. I do believe that my weight loss efforts are totally connected to night time eating. In some ways it is nice to see that others struggle with it as well.
  • loviebear26
    loviebear26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im the same way! I am ok with staying on track all day and we eat dinner at about 6 and by 7:30 im digging thru the cabinets looking for food. I make sure i have enough calories to eat a desert every night but its still not enough. I have had the worst week due to this problem and i dont know how to fix it. I think im going to try to start doing my excercise after dinner and see if that keeps me from wanting to eat.
  • TaoBear
    TaoBear Posts: 10
    Options
    Go ahead, eat at night. More and more studies are showing that it doesn't matter what time you eat at (aimed specifically at The don't-eat-after-6-diet-mantra), it matters what and how much you eat. Just plan for it. You know you want to eat at night (me too!) so I make sure that I eat a smaller breakfast and save my snacks. Again, I'm not saying go crazy and eat a box of cookies... I'm saying make your diet plan YOUR diet plan. Make it work for you by planning ahead. 1200 calories is 1200 calories no matter what time of day you eat them. Those other posts had some really good ideas for appropriate snacks! I just finished my workout (it's midnight) and now I'm going to have a hot bath and a snack too! :D
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with Tao Bear. my husband waits tables and he doesn't get home until really late at night. we are both counitng calories on MFP and have combined lost almost 40 pounds less than two months...and we eat dinner every night between 10pm and 11pm. we don't plan on always eating dinner at that time but it is our schedule right now. we eat a dinner that fits into the calorie count that we have left --and make good food choices. :)
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I had this problem for along time. Someone told me to eat lots of protein during the day. It seemed to do the trick. Try it maybe it will work for you too. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I always keep fresh pineapple in the fridge. Also try consuming lots of water when you feel hungry. I have been doing this since the first of May and have had a few night relapses. But by eating healthier through the day the few times I have had the night urges haven't affected my goals.